Menu
justnosleep
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Access TiVo advice

Hi,

Could do with a bit of advice.

I have my Virgin Media access point upstairs in a spare bedroom which is connected to my  broadband hub and Tivo Box connected to spare TV upstairs.  When the engineer came out to install, he couldn't route downstairs as the existing box near front door had been disconnected and apparently he was not allows to drill a hole through the door frame area to run a new cable through, so the only option was to run the cable up the outside wall to an upstairs access point.

My main TV was downstairs along with various games consoles, etc. Up to now this hasn't been a problem as although Wifi reception is awful (even with wifi extender downstairs), Ive connected my TV/PS4/Xbox/Sky TV box using powerline adaptors.

However, Im getting rid of by Sky TV service so my main TV will now be the Tivo box.  However. as my VM access point is upstairs this causes me a problem with how to view the TiVo downstairs. 

What are my best options for this?

I had considered:-

- getting a long coaxial cable and running it from upstairs (although this will be tricky to do neatly given my house layout)

- Using some sort of video sender to transmit TiVo box to main TV downstairs.  Ive used these with mixed success years ago so not sure which ones will work well with TV box.

Would really appreciate some ideas on best way to solve this...without a huge amount of cost!

Many Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Access TiVo advice

HI justnosleep,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I just wanted to pop by and let you know what you're options are in terms of relocating the cabling/equipment:

* You can have one of our engineers relocate the wiring/equipment, we can book this with you if you decide to go ahead with this option.  Not only will we relocate the wiring/equipment, we will make sure any signal adjustments required is done, and we can ensure a fully working service for you.

* Some people have found that using devices like video senders etc very useful, since the last time you tried this out the devices may be more reliable than what you've previously experienced.  Although I am not totally familiar as to how this is done myself, but there are other posters here who have done this who maybe can advise of their knowledge and recommendations.

* If you're planning to purchase the cabling yourself and rewire this can lead to complications not just for yourself but for others in the nearby area.  If the length of cabling is changed or it's the wrong grade of cable then this can affect the signal feeding your service and also have a knock on affect to nearby services as well.  It's not a method I would recommend doing for anyone as your service can be degraded as a result.  

If you want to arrange an engineer appointment with me then just give me a shout.  There is a cost of £99 if you decide to go ahead.

Let us know what you decide.  

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HI justnosleep,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I just wanted to pop by and let you know what you're options are in terms of relocating the cabling/equipment:

* You can have one of our engineers relocate the wiring/equipment, we can book this with you if you decide to go ahead with this option.  Not only will we relocate the wiring/equipment, we will make sure any signal adjustments required is done, and we can ensure a fully working service for you.

* Some people have found that using devices like video senders etc very useful, since the last time you tried this out the devices may be more reliable than what you've previously experienced.  Although I am not totally familiar as to how this is done myself, but there are other posters here who have done this who maybe can advise of their knowledge and recommendations.

* If you're planning to purchase the cabling yourself and rewire this can lead to complications not just for yourself but for others in the nearby area.  If the length of cabling is changed or it's the wrong grade of cable then this can affect the signal feeding your service and also have a knock on affect to nearby services as well.  It's not a method I would recommend doing for anyone as your service can be degraded as a result.  

If you want to arrange an engineer appointment with me then just give me a shout.  There is a cost of £99 if you decide to go ahead.

Let us know what you decide.  

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

jonathanlouis
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

just no sleep this seems complicated to me where ever the black box is outside the house its written catv and the brown virgin m box is located on front wall so you can have your tivo box anywhere round your home its up to you where you have it jonni
0 Kudos
justnosleep
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the advice. Will have a look at HDMI over powerline extenders then if these are too expensive will probably look to get an engineer visit sorted.

0 Kudos
jonathanlouis
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

engineer will advice you where you want it installing and give advice to where you actually want it in home he will give you options and get it sorted
0 Kudos