Menu
Jack59
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

3 metre HDMI cable

Hello all and thanks in advance for help and advice given.

i have had my VM HD box connected to a a Tesco Technika TV via a 2 meter HDMI cable without problem or fuss for 2 years. Now due to to decorating and furniture movements I need a 3 meter length cable. I have connected several different cables of 3 meters or more ... that all worked before and after.... but non give a signal to the TV. It seems that the signal from the box to the TV is weak??? Can anyone suggest a fix please

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 3 metre HDMI cable

i doubt that is anything to do with length. 1m, 2m 3m,.. 5m cables should all work. it's more likely that you have reset your V box to be expecting a scart cable, so i't not outputting a HDMI signal

the HDMi spec says that cables should be good for up to 50 feet -, which is about 9 metres

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm

simple tests:

first of all try a thorough power cycle: turn everything off, remove the HDMI cables, turn the TV on again, ( so that it sees the cable has gone) , then off again.,  and then re-connect the HDMi cables while the equipment is OFF - switch on and re-test. you'e be amazed how often that is all that's needed!

temporarily move the TV closer & re-test with your old 2m cable. then if that works, swap for a 3m one & test again before moving it back

if you have a 3m cable already , test it with some other pair of devices if possible e.g. a dvd player to tv - return is as faulty if it fails that test. 

an amazon basics one is cheap , but fit for purpose and guaranteed to work, amazon will take it back no-quibble if not.

and don't be fooled by marketing hype, expecting a £100 cable to give a better pircture / improved sound is like expecting a £100 printer cable to make your printer print better.  its just 1s & 0s in the cable- so it either works or it doesn't.

the only way to determine if the problem is

a preferences setting,

or a faulty port on the V box,

or on the TV,

or a cable fault,

or a cable length issue 

is painstaking trial and error to eliminate possibilities,

with some old v boxes, you have to use a scart connection initially to access the preferences.. if it no longer works on scart either then you need to call an engineer to replace the box.

I assume you've tried more that one TV socket, if you have a choice..

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i doubt that is anything to do with length. 1m, 2m 3m,.. 5m cables should all work. it's more likely that you have reset your V box to be expecting a scart cable, so i't not outputting a HDMI signal

the HDMi spec says that cables should be good for up to 50 feet -, which is about 9 metres

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm

simple tests:

first of all try a thorough power cycle: turn everything off, remove the HDMI cables, turn the TV on again, ( so that it sees the cable has gone) , then off again.,  and then re-connect the HDMi cables while the equipment is OFF - switch on and re-test. you'e be amazed how often that is all that's needed!

temporarily move the TV closer & re-test with your old 2m cable. then if that works, swap for a 3m one & test again before moving it back

if you have a 3m cable already , test it with some other pair of devices if possible e.g. a dvd player to tv - return is as faulty if it fails that test. 

an amazon basics one is cheap , but fit for purpose and guaranteed to work, amazon will take it back no-quibble if not.

and don't be fooled by marketing hype, expecting a £100 cable to give a better pircture / improved sound is like expecting a £100 printer cable to make your printer print better.  its just 1s & 0s in the cable- so it either works or it doesn't.

the only way to determine if the problem is

a preferences setting,

or a faulty port on the V box,

or on the TV,

or a cable fault,

or a cable length issue 

is painstaking trial and error to eliminate possibilities,

with some old v boxes, you have to use a scart connection initially to access the preferences.. if it no longer works on scart either then you need to call an engineer to replace the box.

I assume you've tried more that one TV socket, if you have a choice..

Jack59
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I checked the hd box and it was set to SCART so I set it to HDMI (it was working fine through the 2m HDMI cable while set on SCART) I then did the full power cycle, TV off box off unplugged the cables WAITED 10 mins and then set it up turned every thing back on and POW ....... It works👍🏻
thank you Cybmole you are a genius
0 Kudos