Menu
Ninewells1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

1TV, 2 Remote Controls

My in laws have to use 1 remote to switch their tv off and on and another to operate changing channels, volume and so on. Is there a way that they can use just the Virgin remote control?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 1TV, 2 Remote Controls

I'm pointing out the functions the Virgin remote can control on your TV set. If you need to adjust anything else on the TV you would need the TV remote.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there Ninewells1, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and thank you for your post. As nodrogd has said, you are able to programme our remote controls to operate your in laws TV. 

This will control the Volume, allow them turn the TV on and off, it will allow them to change the channel over on the set top box they are using (it will not allow them to change channel over on their own TV, for example from HDMI1 to another input or built in freeview)

For more information on how this can be done, why not check out the following link http://virg.in/gPtzN

I've set this up myself and am quite happily only using the one remote control the majority of the time.

Thanks again

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin remotes can control the sound on the TV, & turn it off & on. Thats about it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Ninewells1
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you saying that there are only 2 buttons on the Virgin remote?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm pointing out the functions the Virgin remote can control on your TV set. If you need to adjust anything else on the TV you would need the TV remote.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
Ninewells1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How very strange! And to think that I was complaining on another forum that I was having real problems because, like my in-laws, I wanted to use just one remote control for off/on, volume, channel change and so on. Thanks to the help that I was given, I now have that facility and only use the other remotes (there are two), for settings and 'smart' functions such as access to the Internet etc. Anyway, thank you so much for your help, I will pass on the bad news.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there Ninewells1, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and thank you for your post. As nodrogd has said, you are able to programme our remote controls to operate your in laws TV. 

This will control the Volume, allow them turn the TV on and off, it will allow them to change the channel over on the set top box they are using (it will not allow them to change channel over on their own TV, for example from HDMI1 to another input or built in freeview)

For more information on how this can be done, why not check out the following link http://virg.in/gPtzN

I've set this up myself and am quite happily only using the one remote control the majority of the time.

Thanks again

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Ninewells1
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huw. It was not my intention to flag a mod and if I did so, I was unaware of the fact. I was perfectly happy with the help I was getting from nodrogd. However, I am so glad that you have made an input because I have just told my in laws the news that the virgin remote can control off/on and volume and nothing else. Now, if I have read your advice properly, it can control switching channels also and I will use the info from your linked instructions to set it up so that the Virgin remote can control the three basic functions.

0 Kudos