Menu
wyre
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

two different things told

Hi

I have pre registered for a v6 box , i  asked on friday if i had my  tvio box  moved to the room where my hub and hd box are  and had the tvio box conected to  my hub would that work  and the gent said yes it would , now today when i rang to ordered one  the lady  said that would not work the v6  box would have to be the one conected . which is right please .   as i  am really interested in having  one  i  would really like 2 boxes

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: two different things told

Your V6 box needs to be connected to the Hub to work.

The preferred option is a wired connect, next is Powerline and then Wireless.

The TiVo does not have to be connected to the Hub to work, but it does need to be connected for box to box streaming.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

The TiVo does not have to be connected to the Hub to work, but it does need to be connected for box to box streaming.

...sorry but since when does the V6 need to be connected to the hub???

Are you telling me that if I want a V6 (I have no other Tivos in the house) to replace my existing TiVo, it will need to be connected to my Superhub (well - the router actually as my Hub is being used as modem)?

Smiley Indifferent

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

Are you telling me that if I want a V6 (I have no other Tivos in the house) to replace my existing TiVo, it will need to be connected to my Superhub (well - the router actually as my Hub is being used as modem)?

Smiley Indifferent

Yup. A hardwired connection is preferable, then powerline, then wifi (which the box has).

The TiVo has a 10Mbps internal modem for the OD content, the V6 follows the lead of the US-based TiVos and does not.
So for the app-based OD content it uses your existing connection as there's no chance of pushing 4K YouTube or Netflix any other way.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The on demand uses your internet connection unlike the TiVo with it's built in connection.

As Ben mentioned it is preferable to be wired so hub near the V6 otherwise Powerline or Wireless as a final option
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

BenMcr wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

Yes, to access On Demand services which, on the V6, will come via your internet connection. I assume it is so that future higher capacity traffic,e.g. 4K, can be handled correctly.

Look at the current Tivo problems with Netflix and iPlayer.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

Yup. A hardwired connection is preferable, then powerline, then wifi (which the box has).

The TiVo has a 10Mbps internal modem for the OD content, the V6 follows the lead of the US-based TiVos and does not.
So for the app-based OD content it uses your existing connection as there's no chance of pushing 4K YouTube or Netflix any other way.

Just for clarity, the connection to the home network is used for everything except broadcast channels and broadcast On Demand pictures.

So EPG updates for the V6 and package / channel eligibility information is received via the home network, and the remote key presses used to control On Demand are sent back up the connection.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own