Menu
whiterdesign
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

losing connection to old tivo box

Had my V6 installed earlier this week and think its s great improvement on the old tivo box.had the old tivo moved to replace an HD box in another room. the problem i have is that i keep losing connection to the old box, where all my recordings are. i have had to reset my V6 twice today and within about 30 secs  it finds the box and connects to it. Any ideas as to what the problem could be 

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: losing connection to old tivo box

How are both connected to the Hub.. if wifi, you may do better with either ethernet or powerline adapters.

0 Kudos
whiterdesign
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The V6 is connected by Ethernet and the Tivo via powerline adapters. I have no problem when watching videos from one box to the other, just that i keep losing the tivo box from the V6. Also when this happens i can't see the V6 on Virgin anywhere but i can see the tivo . Reset the v6 and back to normal

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi whiterdesign, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. it's great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to learn that you are having an issue with your new V6 box losing connection on the Network. 

As you're connected via Ethernet cable, this is most surprising as this will bring the strongest connection. Try switching the ethernet cable to see if this has any effect. 

When the box doesn't show, are you usually watching something or is it when you've not used the feature then go to use it? 

Come back and let me know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
chesnebg
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,  am having an almost identical problem with my new V6 and old Tivo box connected by powerlines....very frustrating.

Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable from the V6 will restore the link.  Rebooting the V6 will always restore the link...any ideas please??

0 Kudos
whiterdesign
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well it happened again yesterday, watched a programme the night before  recorded on the old tivo box , no problems at all. Tried to watch another last night and the box was greyed out, rebooted V6 and all back to normal. Still ok today. Didn,t check to see if the box was showing up on TV anywhere but in the past when this has happened the V6 box wasn't connected but the Tivo box was. The V6 is connected directly to the router via a 1 metre ethernet cable which i have changed and the tivo is connected via Powerline adapters. odd one this but it loos like it keeps losing internet connection but it can't be as the guide still works ok 

0 Kudos
BigAardvaark
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Identical issue here too.  Rebooting the V6 lets us start watching a recording from the old Tivo to completion but the moment the recording is ended, the link to the Tivo shows as broken.  The recordings plays fine, no buffering at all, pause, resume, FWD, etc, all act as if the recording was local.  Network connections are all solid.  Reckon this will be fixed via firmware.

I am in an over subscribed area - Fault ref F003066490
0 Kudos
Marcomanni
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same issue.

V6 Box looses connection to old Tivo, old Tivo can still see v6 box, disconnect network cable from v6, then can play from the old box, but connection lost once finished, or after about a minute if nothing done.

Is there a fix?

0 Kudos
BigAardvaark
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Marcomanni - I traced my problem to an issue with the config on one of my Netgear switches, it's been rock solid for two weeks since. See my other post on this if you have a Netgear or other managed switch.

I do think the box-to-box link is particularly fragile though, seems the network has to be "just right" for it to be 100% happy.  This could possibly improve over time as they make changes to the firmware. 

You shouldn't perhaps have to - every single other device on mine was perfectly happy before the config change - but I would look to your home network for now as a first step - your symptoms sound pretty much the same as mine were, so are your 2 boxes.  How are the boxes strung together?

I am in an over subscribed area - Fault ref F003066490
0 Kudos
alankest
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I too have a new V6 and an old TIVO box connected by ethernet/Devolo PowerLine.  Lost connection problem (recorded shows) is both ways.

After ca 10 mins the connection is lost.  Going to HOME and selecting the other TIVO box lets you resume where the the connection was lost so it's a pain but not as bad as it was initially when you had to restart from when you first started.

I too suspect lack of buffering as the root cause and hope for firmware updates for both boxes.  This is a TIVO issue not VM.

0 Kudos