Menu
Smudger64
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

connect tivo to v6

Hi All just had new v6 box fitted.I was hoping the engineer would link my old tivo to the v6 but he was adament this could not be done then when I finally convinced him it could he said he didn't know how to do it. I'm wondering if anyone has done it themselves and if its just a matter or connecting ethernet cable from your tivo to the router? I have tried this but just get the message tivo box could not be found.I have tried changing the cables not no luck.Any help you any of you guys will be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: connect tivo to v6

Smudger64 wrote:

Hi All just had new v6 box fitted.I was hoping the engineer would link my old tivo to the v6 but he was adament this could not be done then when I finally convinced him it could he said he didn't know how to do it. I'm wondering if anyone has done it themselves and if its just a matter or connecting ethernet cable from your tivo to the router? I have tried this but just get the message tivo box could not be found.I have tried changing the cables not no luck.Any help you any of you guys will be greatly appreciated

Strictly speaking, setting up an connection between your boxes is your job, not the engineers. Assuming that the replaced Tivo box is still on your account and that this was arranged with the V6 upgrade, he would relocate and install your Tivo but not connect the boxes together.

Assuming that your V6 is connected to the router, ethernet, WiFi or powerlines, then an ethernet connection from the Tivo to the router should do the job. My V6 is primarily connected by ethernet cable to the router, although WiFi works, and my Tivo, in another room, is also connected by ethernet cable to the router. Each box can see the other and stream programmes to/from one another.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Smudger64
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks have figured it out the engineer didn't connect the v6 box to the home hub. Have done it now and working fine. Now just waiting for an engineer to come and replace the other faulty v6 box he left me
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Smudger64 wrote:
Thanks have figured it out the engineer didn't connect the v6 box to the home hub. Have done it now and working fine. Now just waiting for an engineer to come and replace the other faulty v6 box he left me

Now that the engineer should have done, as without it some apps Such as Iplayer wont work, and the epg wont update properly...

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The engineer should have connected it to the network. When the V6 is installed I think it always does a software update and it must be connected to the broadband network to do this.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Smudger64
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well I seems I'm stuck with a v6 box with a serious fault til next Thursday. Engineer left saying box takes a couple of hrs to update then after he goes the screen goes green with a message saying a serious fault has been detected. Phoned virgin and was told a manager would call within the hr to arrange replacement. After a couple of hrs I phoned virgin and it seems the manager had gone home so clearly customer satisfaction means nothing to him. Now they can't send an engineer until next Thursday to replace the box. I hope I get a customer survey to fill in.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Smudger64, 

Thanks for your post and I'm really sorry to hear your experience has been less than perfect. Smiley Sad 

As mentioned above, the engineer should have connected the box to the home network as without the connection, some essential features won't work. 

Judging from your post, the engineer is due to attend today. Is this right?

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos