Menu
Benv
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Will the V6 get voice search soon?

looks like Sky owners get a useful innovation before us, again...

I've heard rumours it'll be launched on the V6 too this year but no idea if this is likely.

Can anyone shed some light?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will the V6 get voice search soon?

No. But we got 6 tuners and HDR before SKYQ..

So

looks like V6 owners get a useful innovation before SKYQ, again...

I've heard rumours it'll be launched on the SKYQ too this year but no idea if this is likely.

Not trying to be clever, the systems are different things- SKYQ is for consuming SKY content at different times/locations- V6 is for bringing lots of content together in one place. You pays your money...etc

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

For me, voice search is a useless gimmick.

I can operate V6 perfectly well (and silently) using the remote.

If I feel particularly lazy, my V6 already has voice control:

"Can you fast forward past the adverts please, dear?"

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

So

I've heard rumours it'll be launched on the SKYQ too this year but no idea if this is likely.

Not trying to be clever, the systems are different things- SKYQ is for consuming SKY content at different times/locations- V6 is for bringing lots of content together in one place. You pays your money...etc

Neither the V6 or Sky Q currently have HDR. 

The V6 and Sky Q are virtually the same thing. 4k enabled recordable boxes. 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Do want silly gimmicks or a good tv service which it seems Virgin is finding it hard to deliver to many customers at the moment, which I for one would like them concentrate on
0 Kudos
Benv
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Loving all the opinions & respect all views.
However, for me voice search works well on Amazon video so no reason it shouldn't be useful on the V6, especially when using Search. Not a gimmick for me but everyone uses the UI & menu systems differently I guess.
(Ironically it appears TiVo may have produced the software algorithms for Sky)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ive actually used voice search a few times on Amazon Fire, and its decent when you dont have a keyboard to input searches- as V6 doesnt.

SO it would be a decent addition- but unlikely to be implemented I think. Remember the ones that work well use cloud processing to be of any use, which I doubt V6 would have access to.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

shawty1984 wrote:

Kippies wrote:

So

V6 in its current form, supports HDR. SkyQ need a firmware update to do so (SKY say, no idea if its right or not). They are actually quite different beasts. SKYQ relies on a "master" box with miniQ's for streaming from it, where V6 allows a mix of boxes and can stream content from your current install.

To go more into the design difference, SkyQ is designed from the ground up to do one job, whereas V6 as we know it is really a software overlay for a multi functional box.  It runs the Horizon interface in other markets.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

shawty1984 wrote:

Kippies wrote:

So

V6 in its current form, supports HDR. SkyQ need a firmware update to do so (SKY say, no idea if its right or not). They are actually quite different beasts. SKYQ relies on a "master" box with miniQ's for streaming from it, where V6 allows a mix of boxes and can stream content from your current install.

To go more into the design difference, SkyQ is designed from the ground up to do one job, whereas V6 as we know it is really a software overlay for a multi functional box.  It runs the Horizon interface in other markets.

SKY Q in it's current format supports HDR too and both need updates to enable it. I'm not sure what your actual point is as both don't currently use HDR. 

No one mentioned multi room or streaming. Or they are both 4k enabled recordable boxes and basically offer the near enough the same experience of watching and recording TV. Don't get too defensive over the V6 will you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm not getting defensive, I'm pointing out the differences.

SKYQ does NOT do HDR-

SKYHDR.png

Their current statement from their website- and V6 does so out of the box

Pocket-lint have it about right..

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/139611-virgin-tv-v6-box-review-virgin-media-s-4k-hdr-tivo-powerhou...

Although as NEITHER has much 4K content, never mind HDR it becomes mostly academic.

0 Kudos