Menu
TheKibbster
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Why the £11 a month extra

Because our Tivo is dreadfully slow even after we've cleared the cache and removed suggestions I decided to upgrade to a V6.
Apparently £50 for a Full House customer and nothing extra to pay a month... according to the marketing blurb that is...
I phoned Virgin yesterday and got quoted £65 upfront and the loss of our monthly introduction discount if I wanted to replace our V+ box with a V6 box, which would leave us with a Tivo and a V6.
Far too big a price to pay, that introductory discount is worth quite a lot of money for another 6 months!
I was advised to phone Retentions and ask about replacing our Tivo with a V6 so we can keep our discount.
I was told it would be £65 upfront then an extra £11 a month on our bill.

Erm... where did the £11 a month come from?
We are on Vivid 200 and Full house and no one had mentioned an £11 a month charge for replacing our Tivo (which is barely fit for purpose) in all the adverts, reviews and marketing material.

I wouldn't mind so much if our On Demand hadn't been down on pretty much a daily basis for 6 months, it hardly ever works and the engineers seem to just close then reopen a new ticket to stay within SLA without actually fixing anything!
Just seems to rub salt in the wounds.

But anyway, beside the point.

Where does the extra £11 a month come from and if I call back Retentions and get someone else will I get a different amount?
I'm hoping just the one off charge without the extra monthly sum and still keep our discount.

reaper0374
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why the £11 a month extra

Completely agree with you.

I've been having basically the same problems whilst trying to upgrade to the new V6 box. Like you, I'm still within my initial promotional period, and they simply won't let me upgrade the box without it affecting the existing discount.

Best they offered me was a £6.50 increase in my monthly bill, from the point the new box was installed, along with a new 12 month contract.

TheKibbster
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 44
Flag for a moderator

The reality doesn't seem to be tying up with the marketing does it?

0 Kudos
reaper0374
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I honestly don't think Virgin are appreciating exactly how frustrated their users are with the current TiVo. In my mind it's this frustration that is behind the rapid update/interest in the new V6 box.

Sometimes things like new set-top-boxes are just "nice to have" type things, but in this case I genuinely feel they should be considering rolling these out to their existing customers as a priority for a minimal upgrade fee, regardless of whether they are within contract or not. At the end of the day, all we want is a box that is capable of providing us with the quality of service that we thought we were signing up for in the first place.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi TheKibbster, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that discounts on your account affect the price you'd pay for a V6 upgrade. 

Currently the one off costs for your package are £49.95 + £14.99 Activation Fee. 

Upgrading your V+ box would result in a £5.00 per month increase + potentially a loss of any discounts you currently have on the account depending on what they are. 

With upgrading the TiVo®, you wouldn't have the extra £5.00 per month. Just the loss of the discount. 

If you do decide to upgrade, give the team a call and they'll be happy to sort things out for you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
TheKibbster
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,
Thanks for the reply.

I guessed as much, but it saddens me that's it's like that.
When we signed up to VM we left BT (TV/phone and 75mb BB) who I was actually quite happy with, but the temptation of the content provided by VM lured me in.
So far the TV has been a disappointment, On Demand that generally fails with different error codes and a Tivo that is sluggish and makes finding the content often an unpleasant experience. 
This is our second Tivo as well, the first was replaced the day after the install because it was so slow and giving On demand error codes.
Our second box is doing the same so I assume this isn't just a Tivo problem.
Don't even get me started on the billing issues we had at the start, who knew paying the bill in full and early would cause such a mess!

Tech support tell me utter tosh when I complain about the service, I am told that there was a magic update that would fix the speed of the Tivo and the On Demand errors, no idea on ETA but it would fix all my problems... I won't hold my breath.

Then to be told that a box that would actually, really and truthfully fix one of our complaints (Tivo speed) is available but only if I'm willing to trash a decent discount for the next six months, meaning the V6 would actually cost me closer to £200 extra because of the loss of the discount and/or extra on our bill each month on top.

I know I'm moaning at the wrong person on the forum and it's not the forum teams fault but I do feel pretty hard done by as a customer at the moment and need to vent, so my apologies.

If the Tivo was an acceptable device and fit for purpose, this forum would be pretty empty and there wouldn't be as much demand for a new V6 box (I don't have 4k but just want a box that doesn't make me want to hurl it out of the nearest window when navigating the menus or attempting to use Youtube or Netflix on it!)

I will unfortunately be leaving VM as soon as our contract is up (or actually as soon as the early leaving penalty is affordable) because so far it's been a poor service and there's no way I feel happy about another 12 months of the same.

Anyway, rant over Smiley Happy

gordy66
Up to speed
Message 7 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler
The upgrades and offers on the website are truly bizarre,just ordered my V6 i have been assured the price will be 49.99 and 14.99 activation and that's it scheduled for Feb 10th on the upgrades and offers page it added a extra 15.00 per month on top,what is even more strange the offer for the upgrade between Vivid 200 and Vivid 200 Gamer was a increase of 62.00.Smiley Embarassed
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 44
Flag for a moderator

You don't own the box - yet you still have to pay an "activation" fee etc. for it.

Hmmm...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
TheKibbster
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I can kind of understand the Activation/Installation/Administration cost.

But the fact that you have to buy the box upfront (at a heavily discounted cost.) and you lose any discounts or pay extra each month even if you replace your existing Tivo AND you still don't own the box, or any of the Virgin equipment...

Minds boggle...

chriscl
Superfast
Message 10 of 44
Flag for a moderator

TheKibbster wrote:

I can kind of understand the Activation/Installation/Administration cost.

But the fact that you have to buy the box upfront (at a heavily discounted cost.) and you lose any discounts or pay extra each month even if you replace your existing Tivo AND you still don't own the box, or any of the Virgin equipment...

Minds boggle...

It's just greed.

I looked at the v6 to replace our two existing creaking TIVOs. According to "My Offers", they want an extra £150 for the two boxes, plus £15 each for an "Activation fee" (for someone to type in a MAC address into a web form? Seriously, Virgin Media?) plus then an extra £20 a month (from somewhere - I thought it was supposed to be free if you had as I do, the "Full House XL" and Vivid 200?)

That would take the bill up to nearly £150 a month, plus £180 to get the boxes (which of course you don't own...)

Sorry - that's not what I call a good deal, after years of suffering with the frankly woeful TiVO and TVAnywhere debacles. Nope.