Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 29 (2,864 Views)

Why does V6 need the superhub?

Forgive me for being blonde but why does the v6 need to be connected to the superhub? My old style tivo isn't connected to the superhub and still has epg updates and on-demand content so what is different? Thanks.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 29 (5,716 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by asha_bristol
‎31-12-2016 09:09

Re: Why does V6 need the superhub?

Unlike the current TiVo the TV V6 box does not have a built in cable modem, hence the need to connect to the broadband hub.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Superuser
Message 10 of 29 (5,442 Views)
Helpful Answer
‎31-12-2016 14:22

asha_bristol wrote:
I've very limited knowledge of things technical but i thought one of the key selling points of the old tivo box was that it could stream tv without affecting internet performance? Surely if all this extra traffic is on the main internet network won't it all just grind to a halt?

That's why you need 100 meg to use the V6

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 29 (5,717 Views)
Helpful Answer
‎31-12-2016 09:09

Unlike the current TiVo the TV V6 box does not have a built in cable modem, hence the need to connect to the broadband hub.
Message 3 of 29 (2,858 Views)

Oh, i see. Thanks. Is there any real benefit in connecting two v6 boxes to the hub with cat6 instead of using wi-fi? Distances from the router to both boxes is minimal (4 meters max in differing directions)?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 29 (2,850 Views)

The only certain way to determine this is to try it. Ethernet should give a solid connection all the time. WiFi can be subject to external interference from other devices in your or neighbouring properties.
Message 5 of 29 (2,814 Views)

As someone who works in IT, my experience suggests that wired is always preferable to WiFi as it is more reliable.

Where possible, I have everything connected wired, e.g. my laptop, Now and Fire TV boxes.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team)
Superuser
Message 6 of 29 (2,797 Views)

The previous STB: Cisco, Samsung, Pace et al had embedded CableModem[*] (typically with DOCSIS1 connection and upstream bandwidth sufficient for <3 tuners,epg vod and streaming on those boxes).
V6 with additional(concurrent)tuners, 4K and increased streaming/download (TV Anywhere) functionality placed more demands on upstream OOB component and either Cabled(or w/less) connection to SHub (with >70/6 Mbps D3 connectivity) appears to have reduced the potential duplication/cost of requiring D3 CM embedded build.

Note [*]. Originally(circa Docsis1 late 90's and upto 2007 and later) STB CM's (particularly on NTL platform) could also provide basic BB connection albeit limited to 2/5mbps bandwidth. Personally as a limited BB user I didn't upgrade to a SACM (standalone cable modem) till 2008/9.
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Superfast
Message 7 of 29 (2,795 Views)

My router/superhub is situated upstairs. My tv+ blu-ray+ hi-fi+ tivo et al., are of course downstairs. There are no more nearby power sockets free which rules out using a link extender (with ethernet port). My one accessible13amp socket connects to a 6 socket anti-surge gang which is already full. Does this rule out the possibility of me ever using the V6 without having to dis-assemble all of my built-in wall furniture in order to run in a 13amp spur. Then dis-assemble my study rig to remove and relocate the SH so that the V6 is capable of working? BTW I would also lose a direct ethernet connection between my computer and SH which is, as you should know, used for internal wi-fi and security settings in the hub. If this is correct it will definitely be time for a new supplier. Somebody tell me that this ain't right : (
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 29 (2,759 Views)

Distance and interference dependent, it should work on wifi, and there's nothing stopping you obtaining passthrough powerline adaptors which still retain the use of your surge protected extensions.

You'll find Sky will have a similar requirement for their boxes - they have to be able to get an internet connection.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 9 of 29 (2,732 Views)

I've very limited knowledge of things technical but i thought one of the key selling points of the old tivo box was that it could stream tv without affecting internet performance? Surely if all this extra traffic is on the main internet network won't it all just grind to a halt?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 10 of 29 (5,443 Views)
Helpful Answer
‎31-12-2016 14:22

asha_bristol wrote:

That's why you need 100 meg to use the V6