Menu
beadlesabout
Dialled in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Why do we have to pay for the V6?

Quite simply, the previous generation TiVo is unusably slow and a truly stressful experience, we all know it.

This isn't due to the content becoming more demanding on the hardware, it's due to changes in the underlying software that do not benefit me, which are now compromising on performance of the box. Virgin clearly are not fixing it. The recent rollout changed nothing.

It's a subscription based service. I do not need a V6 for any new "features", I need one so I can use the features I already pay for and have paid for for some years now. 

Why on earth am I and indeed you not able to upgrade FOC as a gesture of goodwill or even a warranty replacement for the original TiVo.

It's the only way I can enjoy and use the service I pay for. I'm not looking for handouts, I have £100 to spare, but it's the injustice of the thing. Has anyone had any success getting Virgin to see things this way? 

It's that or out for me now. 

amarkr2000
Dialled in
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do we have to pay for the V6?

I agree

It goes against what virgin put in their press release when the V6 was launched

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Would you expect a free upgrade to a Galaxy S8 l from a Galaxy S3?

Or would you expect it to be negotiated as part of a new contract with updated terms and a one off payment due up front?

There is no additional monthly cost for having the V6 if you're replacing a TiVo with it, which is correct.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The difference is we are 'renting' the equipment off Virgin.
My family used to rent tvs from Rumbelows (going back some years now) and they would routinely swap out the tv to a bigger better one as it was cost effective rather than try and fix the failing old tv.

Virgin have almost killed the original TiVo through software updates and other things.
I am lucky that I am having 1 V6 installed for free and they are moving my original 1TB TiVo upstairs. However I would not pay for that to be replaced as I paid £200 or whatever it was for when then TiVo first came out and then clearly the take up was not enough and they dropped the price within about 2 weeks and refunded all us early adopters £50.

This time last year the service and speed of the box was ok. Since then we have lost hundreds of HD films on demand and since September error 319 all over the place.
The least they can do for a VIP high paying quad subscribing customer like myself is give you proper working equipment.
0 Kudos
beadlesabout
Dialled in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Using the phone argument, I could pick up a 15 year old Nokia brick and it would make calls and texts flawlessly. The point is not about features, it's that some months ago Virgin ruined the TiVo experience and haven't done enough to recover from it. The core functionality (Live broadcast and OD content in this case) does not work flawlessly as the calls and texts do on the ancient Nokia. All other TV receiving hardware out there still works as well as it did on release, minus some new features. The TiVo really does not.

If I had to quantify it I'd say the TiVo menus, guide, mini guide and remote command response times are 30% of what they were originally. This isn't about the latest and greatest, it's about the original TiVo no longer allowing me to enjoy the most basic elements of the service I pay for. 

I don't want to pay Virgin for something they have brought about erroneously and are no longer motivated to recover from. The recovery will be by their consumers upgrading to the V6 with a tidy profit in the bank for VM. Upgrading purely through exasperation.

The original box isn't EOL, but it's crippled and needs to be fixed or replaced. If you don't see it that way I am tres confused.

NJ9517
Tuning in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Just wanted to add strength to this thread as I've been waiting for one like this to appear in the V6 forum.

You are absolutely right, beadlesabout. The TiVo box is not fit for purpose and Virgin should be offering to replace it with V6 for anyone who is unhappy with TiVo. I don't even use my TiVo box anymore for catch-up/on demand programs as it takes up to 10 minutes to load and often crashes. Furthermore it's delayed responses to commands from the remote make using it a frustrating experience. Tried all the generic 'fixes' i.e rebooting, clearing the cache etc to no avail. Engineer came out who confirmed the box was not faulty and that TiVo box performance issues are a reported problem for many customers.

I'd be satisfied with a compromise at this point e.g for Virgin to supply V6 boxes to unhappy TiVo customers for a small nominal fee (as 4K compliance makes it an upgrade) or supply it free of charge perhaps with 4K features disabled? But I definitely won't be paying £100+ for a functioning set-top box which should be provided as part of my contract.

Personally I'd be happy to downgrade back to the V+HD for a while until I have a 4K TV but Virgin won't even allow me to have that!

Nikola

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

amarkr2000 wrote:

I agree

It goes against what virgin put in their press release when the V6 was launched

Capture.JPG

That say's no extra subscription fees, and there are none

andycambs
Superfast
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

And according to the Watchdog programme on BBC1 the other night, the Sky Q box is even less fit for purpose...

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yet my Sky Q box is blistering fast, and I have not had a single problem with it

0 Kudos
ianward
Dialled in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I agree with the comments about the original TIVO. It is no longer fit for the purpose it is meant for. Its slow and over complicated and VM SHOULD be replacing them for (at most) a small fee. And as for 100mg Broadband.....WHY....does the V6 box need it... NO, do I need 100mg.... NO ....but if I want a V6 box I have to pay £100 + Activation fee and then pay to upgrade the Broadband from 70 to 100mg. There are only two of us in my household, I am not a heavy downloader, I don't play games, I have no interested in UHD so why should I have to have 100mg.......... this is purely and simply a way of VM getting me to pay more £'s for a service that I don't want or need.

Ian