Menu
Sy1981
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Why are Virgin making customers pay for a V6 box when we don't own the box?

Existing customer £50 then a £15 activation fee? We don't own the box so this should not cost us a thing, I think Virgin get enough money a month without asking more money to change box! At least with SKY whenever I paid for a box upgrade they haven't asked for the old one back.

I spoke to one of Virgin's customer chat team and he knew nothing at all and kept responding saying  

And this is what we pay our money for??

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
deans6571
Super solver
Message 5 of 67
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why are Virgin making customers pay for a V6 box when we don't own the box?

BenMcr wrote:

The £50 fee you've been quoted is a one-off fee that is specifically the cost for the V6 box. This applies for any install situation.

Currently the £14.99 order activation fee covers the engineer visit as self install isn't available for V6 yet. When self install does become available the £14.99 order activation fee covers self install, and at that point if a customer chooses not to do self install then there is a specific £40 manned install fee applied in addition to the £14.99 order activation fee.

...not being funny but any manned install fee is extortionate and ridiculous.

When my V6 boxes were installed, I knew MORE about how to install them than BOTH the so called 'tech' engineers as neither had ever seen or installed a V6 before................I was actually telling them, what to do..............

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Sy1981 wrote:

Existing customer £50 then a £15 activation fee? We don't own the box so this should not cost us a thing, I think Virgin get enough money a month without asking more money to change box! At least with SKY whenever I paid for a box upgrade they haven't asked for the old one back.

There have always been one off costs connected to Virgin Media's TV PVRs. There are one-off costs for the existing TiVo, and there were one-off costs for the V+ HD before it. It's up to your own choice as to whether the costs are acceptable to you.

With Sky up to Sky Q, you have bought the STB outright, so it's yours to do with as you wish which is why they wouldn't ask for it back. However with Sky Q it's now rented kit, and they'll ask for it back if you leave. Sky also have one off costs for their rented kit.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Sy1981
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 67
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

So £50 is an acceptable fee for an engineer to come out and basically connect the same cables to the back of the box then call up Virgin and ask them to activate the box? All things any user can do!  Sky send the box out and give this option and it is not mandatory to do so. I was told that because the user does not own the box then any upgrades would be next to no cost apart from activation.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 67
Flag for a moderator

The £50 fee you've been quoted is a one-off fee that is specifically the cost for the V6 box. This applies for any install situation.

Currently the £14.99 order activation fee covers the engineer visit as self install isn't available for V6 yet. When self install does become available the £14.99 order activation fee covers self install, and at that point if a customer chooses not to do self install then there is a specific £40 manned install fee applied in addition to the £14.99 order activation fee.

deans6571
Super solver
Message 5 of 67
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BenMcr wrote:

...not being funny but any manned install fee is extortionate and ridiculous.

When my V6 boxes were installed, I knew MORE about how to install them than BOTH the so called 'tech' engineers as neither had ever seen or installed a V6 before................I was actually telling them, what to do..............

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sy1981
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 67
Flag for a moderator

So if its £50 for the cost of the box then why did their representative say it was for the engineer visit -

11:49:16Varsha:If you wish to have a V6 box there is installation £49.95 and activation £14.99 fee and it is applicable to all the customers.
0 Kudos
Sy1981
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 67
Flag for a moderator

That is exactly my point that this 'fee' is to get more money from the customers who already pay a hefty prices for their so called services. As much as I am not a fan of Sky they give you options and don't bully you to get an engineer out to plug some cables in. Not everyone is a beginner in these things and some of us work in IT and Coms so know what coaxial is and how it works along with how to plug it into a box and configure it. 

As a new customer to Virgin I can safely say I probably won't be for much longer!

0 Kudos
fizz
Up to speed
Message 8 of 67
Flag for a moderator

and also why is it higher if you are not on the better package.. surely it's the same install regardless... I have full cat 5 cabling and the box is easy to get at.. so does the slower broadband speed mean it takes twice as long to plug it in.. I think not.. this is a total scam..

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 67
Flag for a moderator

The costs for install are the same i.e. the £14.99

Any price variation for the one off costs for those on higher bundles will be to encourage customers to join with or upgrade to higher bundles to get a better deal on the V6 box, and to reward those already on higher bundles with a better deal on the V6 box.

Virgin Media aren't unique in offering different options depending on the monthly bundle you've chosen, and aim their deals at encouraging people to take out more services.

0 Kudos
Sy1981
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 67
Flag for a moderator

I have to agree with you there! I know a few who have gotten the V6 free and aren't even on the top packages! The normal box itself is pretty terrible, the menu is horrendous and very slow and navigating to anything takes longer than putting a DVD into a DVD player.