Menu
Blenky
Up to speed
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

When will HDR be introduced?

We are now into 2017 and the V6 roll out is well underway.  HDR is promised in an upcoming firmware update.  Is there any news on when that upgrade will be made available?

Helpful Answers
gw81
Joining in
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: When will HDR be introduced?

Hmm PS4 and Xbox now doing hdr10 there are enough well developed standards now. Virgin should support this and add firmware updates as needed. No better than sky box as things stand

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No. Nothing has been announced yet
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Official guidelines to meet requirements for 4K and HDR are not even finalised yet, so currently TV's claiming these techs may or may not fall in line when they are finalised.

0 Kudos
Blenky
Up to speed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean by official guidelines? I have a certified HDR TV. Netflix, Amazon have been streaming 4K HDR for l many months. YouTube now also stream 4K HDR and the BBC is trialling their version. The time to release a firmware is now.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The HDR used by Netflix and the BBC are different standards. So if you say that Virgin should do it now, then which one? I'd also point out that most HDR TVs also don't support the BBC version yet.

Additionally there is not yet a final standard for broadcast 4K with HDR i.e for live TV, not content from apps. So again, if Virgin do it now, then what happens if it's not quite compatible with the final standard?

Virgin will likely add comprehensive HDR support once all of these things have been ironed out and they're confident that they can add all the appropriate support for all apps and broadcast.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Blenky
Up to speed
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

They should do what companies like Samsung are doing. Introduce new formats via firmware when established. There are well established HDR formats they could support now such as HDR10 and to a lesser extent Dolby Vision plus the BBC's HLG when required. I'm sure that would cover it for the foreseeable future.
gw81
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have to say I am disappointed, I got my V6 today and I had every reason to believe I would be getting HDR Netflix.  I am getting that via my Sony TV's in built app it feels like a step back that Virgin's Netflix is 4K only.  I take that to mean the IPlayer Planet Earth UHD trial and YouTube are also not doing HDR on V6 box?

Also, the engineer who installed knew nothing about 4K and made me go away and buy a new ultra hd cable.  But am I correct the cable he had with him from Virgin would have carried ultra hd?  A fortune to upgrade and now another £25 possibly wasted.

jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Like 3D and curved TV's?

Blenky
Up to speed
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If you are talking about an HDMI cable I don't think Virgin provide them. You don't need to spend £25 on an HDMI cable. As long as it is a high speed HDMI any will do.
Blenky
Up to speed
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

jhuk - what do you mean 'Like 3D and curved TV's'?  If you mean HDR is just a fad I think you are wrong.  Its gathering momentum all the time.  Virgin need to try and stay ahead of the curve here and get a firmware with it in as soon as!