Menu
Highlighted
bheart
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

*** What is wrong with these v6 box remote controls?

After having our VM services installed yesterday, we quickly found that "both' remote controls do not work?  The engineer had problems during installation; he paired both remotes and they worked for a few seconds and then needed repairing so, I should have guessed that there was an issue with them!

I've tried all the fixes shown in these forums and on the internet but, both remotes are not working as they should!

When I googled the problem, I found threads regarding the issues with v6 remotes going right back to the end of last year so, Virgin is still dishing them out a year later and, when contacted by customers who have v6 remote problems, they say to call 150 and they will send out new remotes or, even new v6 boxes!

We have 12 days left to decide whether or not we are going to continue with VM!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: *** What is wrong with these v6 box remote controls?

interestingly when we had our v6 installed the other day we were given a non v6 remote as 'the v6 remotes are in short supply'. works ok so far.
0 Kudos

All Replies
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

interestingly when we had our v6 installed the other day we were given a non v6 remote as 'the v6 remotes are in short supply'. works ok so far.
0 Kudos
bheart
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’m not surprised you didn’t get the v6 remotes because they have been playing up for at least a year or more!
0 Kudos
whitehoose
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

my remote works fine.

Before pairing

Set the TV control to remote and step through the codes until the box switches off / on and vol all work.

Then follow the wireless pairing - either in the menu - or by press/hold keys as described in help.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

The "gotcha" is that when you pair remote A with box A the box the pairing state endures for at least 5 minutes (closer to 10 on mine).

Because you are talking about wireless you can't rush and "do" both boxes one after the other by just hiding Remote A - so if then (in your haste) you hold "-" on box B  before box A has dropped out of pairing mode and then hold "info" on remote B

If you've been too eager - BOX A now "sees" remote Bs signal and latches onto that one ... calamity!!!

You have to (ideally) do box A with remote A  then WAIT 10, 20 - ideally 30 or so minutes and then set to with boxB/remoteB.

To further complicate things - IR still works - and Remote A will control Remote B and viceversa.

0 Kudos
bheart
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When you say, “set the TV control to remote” and, “step through the codes until the box switches off/on and volume all work”, none of this was explained to us!

OMG, we had three remotes and two boxes with Sky, a Sky Q main box and, a Sky Mini box and, we never had to go through any of these issues!

All of it just worked!
0 Kudos
whitehoose
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's a one time setup ... no big drama. Takes a couple of minutes

You obviously have reasons for making the swap - now you have new kit in needs to be set up - that applies to just about everything.

Sky remotes have exactly the same setup if you want to control TV using the STB's remote.  If you know the code it's probably the same as the one that worked with sky.

If you are happy with each box being controlled the remote using IR - then the wireless setup isn't needed - it's only advantage is it'd less directional - and in truth it's not an advantage if you aren't prepared to do it. 

0 Kudos