Menu
VIRTUAL-ALAN
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WHY NO MODEM IN V6 BOX AND WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

WHY NO MODEM IN V6 BOX AND WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

As is causing me MAJOR issues 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WHY NO MODEM IN V6 BOX AND WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

the modem n the old tivo boxes were docsis1 and only supported 10mbps not enough for 4k streaming.

The new v6 box uses your internet connection to get faster speeds via docsis3.

You should make sure the connection is wired and don't try and stream using the wireless as wireless can be unstable.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

3 reasons..

Cost to support 4k content they would have to add a Docsis3 modem to the V6 with the extra cost that entails.

Complexity having a modem in the V6 is just 1 more thing that can go wrong with the box.

Unnecessary duplication, virtually everyone will already have internet so why add it again to the V6 box, also the V6 would still need a connection to your lan if you want to use your phone as a remote control etc.

However your problem is probably quite common so it would be Nice if Virgin could somehow offer the service threading a cat6 cable in parallel to the coax they do.. or maybe they could come up with some sort of custom Cable which incorporated both Docsis coax and cat6.

0 Kudos
VIRTUAL-ALAN
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

However your problem is probably quite common so it would be Nice if Virgin could somehow offer the service threading a cat6 cable in parallel to the coax they do.. or maybe they could come up with some sort of custom Cable which incorporated both Docsis coax and cat6.

Now that would have been a possible option if the coax wasn`t already in the house through walls etc

The more I am hearing/reading is the more likely I am to have it all uninstalled a just too much of an issue to run extra cables for minimal 4k footage

0 Kudos