Menu
scash5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin incompetence

Having negotiated a new contract price in August 2017 which included BT sports discount and a loyalty discount we then moved house 4 weeks later and discovered our “deal” was no longer valid. After at least 6 calls (some were disconnected) I finally reached a “local” call centre who explained the situation. Apparently you cannot port your existing contract to a new house. This was never mentioned in August when I made it clear to the sales advisor we are soon to be moving. On top of this Virgin charged £20 for the house move (no engineer required) and we had no service for 24 hours whilst attempting to run our small business at home.

To cut a long story short, the BT discount has been honoured (by charging me but then applying a credit) but not the loyalty discount. The advisor yesterday asked me to call back nearer to Christmas and beg for the discount.

Having now spent some 2 – 3 hours on the phone I give up. Maybe the competition are similar but time to try them. This reluctantly after some 23 years custom (joined 1994).

I think anyone with UK call centres wins my vote.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin incompetence

Moving house triggers a new 12 month contact so you could get some early termination charges if you leave now

0 Kudos
scash5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Good point but I haven't signed their latest contract and I'm fairly astute with knowing my rights to cancel if something is mis-sold.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

scash5 wrote:

Thanks. Good point but I haven't signed their latest contract and I'm fairly astute with knowing my rights to cancel if something is mis-sold.

taking their services automatically signs you up

0 Kudos
scash5
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure my invoice for my time spent calling VM will be more than the termination fee.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi scash5, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue sorting our your contract options since you've moved home. 

The £20 fee is a standard admin fee charged for anyone who transfers their services to a new address. The 24 hour delay is also standard process if a self install can be completed. 

With regards to discounts, when moving home you are effectively setting up a new account and therefore loyalty discounts and promotional offers may not be able to be added since the offer may have finished. 

If you speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 they may be able to help you by adding a manual credit instead. 

Come back and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
scash5
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath but I'm not calling again after some 4+ hours in the last 8 weeks. Virgin Media will be one customer less once I find a suitable alternative plus my wife's business account will be going also (plus 2 x mobile phone contracts).

mrflash
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My dad moved from a house which he had Virgin but could not get Virgin where he was moving to he was told he had to pay remainder of the contract and was also told if he had been able to get Virgin then he would not be on the same deal. They told him it was somewhere in the small print.

Regards
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi scash5, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this and I'm sorry to hear that you would prefer to leave instead. Smiley Sad

Once you do decide to cancel, you will need to call to sort out the disconnection so isn't it worth 1 more chance to try and get things resolved seeing as you'll need to make a call either way? 

I hope you change your mind and decide to stay with us but understand you need to do what's right for you.

We're here if you need anything else. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mrflash
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have decided to stay with Virgin for the time being.

Regards
0 Kudos