Menu
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin bad managerment of new V6 box and questions ?

We got the first details back at the start of the year that Virgin was about get in gear with the rest of the TV companies like BT & Sky which both have boxes out NOW. Then back in August we got the image which pushed questions and no answers from VM yet more news came that they were going to be a press meeting which was today 30/11/16 at about 9 am.

Yes we were thinking that there was more news then just the 1TB box that would be able to handle UHD / 4K from the way the press day was put out and many of your customers after months with a site page put our details on, that today would be the day we could book to get the new box, so we could all get the box ready for extra new  TV shows on for Christmas.

We had news that new customers were testing the box in the last few weeks and older customers that would loved to be a tester had fingers put up from VM.

Only news today which I did not guest was that VM today is not bring out larger box then 1TB where Sky Q has 2TB which would be handy for 4K recording . Also that VM is to charge the highest price for 4K box then all others even high valued & payers pay more then other boxes.

We also got news of items to come which is just a copy of Sky with Kids app and way to view on pad etc..

I used the chat service on VM site today and was told they are still testing the box and no day has been given and I could not buy one ?

QUESTIONS...?

1) Why are you not taking orders today to allow customers to know they will get a box before new customer in Jan' 2017 ?

2) Why is price higher then others when you do not get any real extra item then extra 2 channels to record then Sky Q but with Sky Q you get a second box.

3) Why the big Press when you still testing ?

4) Why you getting so many reports that people can not put details into site page if you wish to get VM to tell you more ?

5) Why are there no cost to get VM new pad to view in other rooms that was talked about in VM press today?

6) Why are long time customers not given the jobs of testing items when we are the ones that pay the most into keeping the company going ?

7) Why has VM not been able to get more 4K items then other companies after being late to the new boxes ?

8) Can new box still handle 3D Film play back ?

Please help with these questions

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin bad managerment of new V6 box and questions ?

From the top:

1. New customers can order in Jan, existing "before the end of the year"
  2. Comparing to Sky Q:
    Size - 230mm x 153mm x 55mm (V6) beats 330mm x 210mm x 43mm (Sky Q). The box is half the footprint of Sky Q.
    Price - Quite a lot better than Sky Q.
    New and existing customers with a Full House 200 or VIP bundle: £49.95, Standard price: £99.95 (V6)
    Sky Q 1TB is £15, but you don't get UHD. For that you need a Sky Q 2TB box, at £199. (Sky Q)
    Sky Q Multiroom is £12/mth per box, and £99 per box after the first one. Yes it does cut the price of the 2TB box to £60, but it's still extortionate. (VM is less, but how much depends on the box you chose)
    Capabilities - V6 wins hands down.
    6 tuners (V6) vs 4 (Sky Q)
    Auto-clash resolution for recordings (V6)
    Wishlists (V6)
    Series Link+ (V6)
  3. No-one's testing anything?! There are a few pilot installs dotted around the country, but the box is good to go!
  4. Probably because something is broken - the ForumTeam are adding people manually if they mention it.
  5. The TellyTablet will be £299, or I think £10/mth when attached to a mobile contract.
  6. There's no way of knowing how long any of the customers on the pilot have been with VM.
    I assume you mean "Why haven't I been chosen?" A pilot of a hundred or so across an install base of ~4 million customers doesn't give great odds.
  7. Most of the UHD content (other than Netflix) is owned by Sky & BT atm, and I can understand they're not too keen on sharing.
  8. TiVo can, so I'd certainly hope they haven't gone back a step!

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
edgarthefirst
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

printerElf, Can I take you work for Virgin, I done my pricing for Sky Q and TV, and there is nothing between them, it only gets more expensive if you have multi room and box set package. And if you go for broke and have the top package at £109 you get a free 43" 4K TV!

jbsco
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@edgarthefirst this was only the product launch. it had some details. The product is not on sale yet. I'd hang fire.

The point on the incentives. Are you saying you want VM to price match, even before you know what the, if any, incentives they might offer?

If you want sky, go with sky. the Q product, has its issues and doesn't to all the usp's tivo offers. for some they want those, some don't. you are free to spend your money.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

edgarthefirst wrote:

printerElf, Can I take you work for Virgin, I done my pricing for Sky Q and TV, and there is nothing between them, it only gets more expensive if you have multi room and box set package. And if you go for broke and have the top package at £109 you get a free 43" 4K TV!

Interesting, can you post your comparisons?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

edgarthefirst wrote:

Nope, just checked the Sky Q order page on their website.

If you want Sky Q it's £15 up front (which is what Telewest is commenting on).
If you want the UHD variant then it's £199 unless you take multiroom at £12/mth, in which case it drops to £60 up front.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Rs101
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@PrinterElf . Your replies are a mix of incorrect & misleading.

You're comparing the physical dimensions of the 2 boxes? Yes, Q is wider, but it's lower and looks like it was designed some time after 1995. I notice you don't mention the storage difference.

Pricing - for new customers, it's £15 for a Q 2TB and a Mini when you sign up to Q Multiscreen (required for the mini to work anyway and for UHD ).
Existing customers do pay more, but not what you're suggesting. (eg upgrade from single Sky+HD to Q 2TB +1 mini, I was quoted £100 one off fee). A simple phone call to Sky will reduce that..

Q Multiroom is £12 in total, not per box. One payment covers up to 4 boxes, of which any 2 can be used at a time, along with 2 tablets.

Q Has 12 tuners, not 4. It can record 4 channels while 5 others are being viewed on the main box, 2 tablets and 2 minis. That'll change to 6 recordings in the new year. Does the V6 use a tuner for some on-demand content, like the current Tivo does?

TellyTablet - £300 for a 14" tablet which doesn't even run the latest Android release? Similar tablets, but with a 13" HD display are available for under £200 (far less if you want a cheap Chinese one...)

edgarthefirst
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I was surprised if it was product launch you might expect to have more information on when you could buy the product, not an airy fairy some time in January, or some time In December for full house customers. It would be nice to know who the presenter was from Management
They seem very good of staying invisible, but use the community as a buffer.
0 Kudos
Rs101
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

edgarthefirst wrote:

Nope, just checked the Sky Q order page on their website.

If you want Sky Q it's £15 up front (which is what Telewest is commenting on).
If you want the UHD variant then it's £199 unless you take multiroom at £12/mth, in which case it drops to £60 up front.

You need to subscribe to Q Multiscreen for UHD to work anyway.. So i doubt anyone pays the £199 for a 2TB box.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm not bothered what it looks like, I'm bothered whether I can fit it under the TV with the myriad of other boxes. Having something half the size is a good thing!

If you think you need multi-room to get a 2TB box, then Sky's marketing team have done their job well.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Add multiroom and the installation cost drops to £60, but you pay £12/mth more for the package.

Point taken about the Sky Q minis, the first one of which is free.
For £12/mth though I'd rather have an additional TiVo on the order giving me 9 recordable tuners. All subsequent Q Minis are £99 anyway, so cancel each other out.

As the TiVo streams OD content rather than downloading it, then yes in certain instances you'll lose a tuner to OD.

I can't defend the TellyTablet without seeing it, and I wouldn't try to.

0 Kudos