Menu
kevinV
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Virgin V6 box self installation

I recently ordered a self installation package with the new V6 box, the website indicates this can be done for a minimal fee.  In my case £14.99 one off connection (Cannot understand already connected) and 53p a month extra.  Waited in all day nothing turned up.  Turns out Virgin lied on the website as the V6 cannot be self installed have to pay £64 for an engineer to do something I can do in 2 minutes (connect the box) after all its not rocket science and Virgin even supply you with the spanner.

Please do not be taken in by this deal apparently it does not exist.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin V6 box self installation

it may of rolled out in some areas
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It would be useful if you can give a link to where you were misled.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

How were you planning to connect it to the internet?

I also could have connected mine by myself but it appears to be VM policy at this initial stage to only do manned installs.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

kevinV wrote:

I recently ordered a self installation package with the new V6 box, the website indicates this can be done for a minimal fee.  In my case £14.99 one off connection (Cannot understand already connected) and 53p a month extra.  Waited in all day nothing turned up.  Turns out Virgin lied on the website as the V6 cannot be self installed have to pay £64 for an engineer to do something I can do in 2 minutes (connect the box) after all its not rocket science and Virgin even supply you with the spanner.

Please do not be taken in by this deal apparently it does not exist.

The current costs for the Virgin TV V6 box for a manned install are the same as they'd be if self install was available. Virgin don't charge anything additional where you're not give the choice of either self install or engineer install.

Once self install does become available as a choice for the Virgin TV V6,  and a customer specifically decides against that and requests a manned install there would cost an additional £40 on top of the self install costs.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
kevinV
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Currently my TIVO is connected to my Hub2 and given the self installation guide that they send you to download and the fact they even supply the spanner it is not rocket science.  I have worked on far more complicated military aircraft (Avionics) in my time.

0 Kudos
kevinV
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My account and the upgrade option having already got Vivid200 and upgraded to Full House TV and the additional Talk More anytime (assuming that was the additional £14.99 connection fee although I am already connected).  It appears that this was not an upgrade but a new order that I did not want 53p extra a month.

When I went to finish the upgrade there was an option for self install and a delivery date for equipment it then provided pdf files for self install and including list of items in the box with the V6.

If the upgrade was only 52p and a connection charge why would they accept my order knowing I have already got the equipment specified and was looking for a V6 upgrade.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

kevinV wrote:

Currently my TIVO is connected to my Hub2 and given the self installation guide that they send you to download and the fact they even supply the spanner it is not rocket science.  I have worked on far more complicated military aircraft (Avionics) in my time.

It's nothing to do about whether the box will be easy to install or not. Self install will be available, but currently the Virgin TV V6 box is a new product for Virgin Media, and as such they've launched it with a engineer install option so they can ensure that launch is successful and controlled.

Whilst there is no choice for a self install, no-one is paying more for the engineer installs that they would for self install.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

kevinV wrote:

It's nothing to do about whether the box will be easy to install or not. Self install will be available, but currently the Virgin TV V6 box is a new product for Virgin Media, and as such they've launched it with a engineer install option so they can ensure that launch is successful and controlled.

Whilst there is no choice for a self install, no-one is paying more for the engineer installs that they would for self install.

i. e. it's best to wait until they do offer a cheaper self install option and all the bugs have been ironed out.  When Tivo was first introduced they wouldn't allow self install giving some cobblers about signal levels as the reason...  All about making more money out of the suckers desperate to get something new.   

kevinV
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Not something new just something that might work better than the current box. Very much like upgrading to vivid 200 and expecting better technology like the hub 3 to be included with the upgrade. New customers get the latest technology, loyal customers have to live with the antiques.
0 Kudos