Menu
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin V6 HDD Upgrade/External Storage Options?

I got the V6 in the beginning of February and I do like the box a lot. It really is like the best bits of the old Tivo but just in a much faster nicer to use package. The only issue I have with it is that the 6 tuners encourage you to go wild and set up loads of recordings and series links, yet the 1TB HDD sadly just isn't up to the job of storing it all for any length of time. Within less than a week the thing was already over half full and recently it has been a losing battle keeping it under 100% full. I try to look in on it every day and watch at least a few recordings too but this isn't always possible and neglecting to check it for even a day seems to result in it stuffed to capacity and starting to delete things I may not want to lose.

I know it can manage things itself and delete older recordings, which is nice, but it's a shame losing things I may have wanted to see. I know I could trim my planned recordings and series links but i don't think I'm really asking it to record an excessive amount and kind of resent having to do that anyway as what is the point of a six tuner plus box if you can't put them to good use?

So to cut to the chase, am I going to be forever fighting to stay under 100% full? or are VM working on any way of increasing the storage of the V6? e.g. the ability to connect external storage or larger capacity boxes? Alternatively, I have heard that having a second V6 or Tivo adds to the storage on the main V6 somehow?, though I've never understood how this works and even if the two could pool their storage somehow, it's going to be shared between the Tivo and V6 so would it add that much to the V6?

Anyone else having this issue with their V6 or am I just being overly demanding of it?

Any suggestions appreciated.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin V6 HDD Upgrade/External Storage Options?

I would be amazed if VM ever offered or allowed a box to be upgraded. In the fullness of time they may introduce a larger version of the V6 that you could pay extra to get.

A second V6 will double your recording capacity because you can record on both boxes the watch from either box provided they both have a good fast connection to your SHub.
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Yes, I agree internal upgrade options are sadly unlikely to appear, though I don't know why external storage isn't an option?, they could use the same method modern consoles like the PS4 and Xbox One adopt where the drive is formatted in a proprietary way to avoid people using it on anything but the V6.

I find the 1TB drive really holds the V6 back, hate having to constantly worry about running out of space )-: which is a shame as it's a fantastic box in almost every other way.

What you say about how a second box can double the capacity sounds very promising. Would adding an old Tivo (they have a 1TB model too) increase the storage of the V6 too in the same manner another V6 box would? As I might be able to get a better deal from VM on a second original style Tivo, while I'd imagine adding a second V6 would be expensive since it's their flagship box?

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think in theory an old Tivo should work but I have seen reports of people having problems getting it to work, but to be fair I have seen people having initial set up issues getting it to work V6 to V6.

If you are on a high TV package you may not find a big difference in cost apart from an initial charge. I have an old Tivo and could not recommend it to anyone.
0 Kudos
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I had the old Tivo before the V6 and found it painfully slow to use to the point of being rather unpleasant BUT if I was just effectively just using it as a dummy box to boost my recording capacity, I wouldn't actually have to use it would I? Or do some functions have to be performed on the second box? e.g. would I have to set some of my recordings on the second box (old Tivo) or can I do EVERYTHING from the V6 and effectively just pretend the second (Tivo) box is just a big external HDD?

RE my package I'm on the full house with Sky Cinema HD so quite a high package I believe. While I don't want a big upfront cost it is the impact on the amount I pay monthly that would be my main concern.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You wouldn't be able to manage the TiVo, other than watching and deleting its recordings, but you could do it from the TV Anywhere app.

MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming. Ideally I would have wanted to control everything from the V6 but from what you say it sounds like the TV anywhere app might bridge the gap and I'd imagine once I had my series links all set up, I wouldn't have to actually use the second box all that often considering how I'd be using it. 

I think a second box might be the best way to go. Now just need to persuade VM to give me a good deal on the second Tivo, as if it's main use is only going to be boosting my recording space I can't justify spending a lot on it.

Hmm I wonder if there are any promotions or deals on for getting a second box...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The TV Anywhere app approach is a good one.

The TiVo can be sited conveniently close to your Superhub so it can have its co-ax connection off a splitter from your Superhub's co-ax and its home network connection to your Superhub by direct Ethernet cable. No need for the TiVo to be connected to a TV.