cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@crypticcwrote:

I clicked on the reply button to Andre W's email.  Quote added

Thanks

Sorry, without your edit, with quote added later, I assumed you were referring to my statement that I was happy letting V6 do the upscaling.

I have tested both BBC HLG and Netflix PG with these settings. Yes, on the new software level that is currently being piloted.

See here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Firmware/td-p/3649408

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@andrewilleywrote:

It always amazes me how people developing this kind of seriously high-end audio/visual technology - who must be intelligent to be able to do some of the really clever stuff that they do - can be so utterly clueless about basic operational needs and user requirements.

Andre

I couldn't agree with you more. I see a common mentality with the developers of the V6 and Sky Q 2TB boxes, in that 4K is what matters. They don't care about SD even though many people still watch broadcasts and DVDs in this definition, and won't allow users to make choices. For example, the V6 will always upscale 576i unless you choose a video setting of only 576, quite ridiculous when most of us have TVs with higher native resolutions and, won't you believe it, some of us just want 576i to be passed through to our TV.

And don't even get me started on the V6 being the first TV box to be without a SCART socket.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I thought SkyQ was the first not to have a SCART?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Perhaps, but as this is a VM forum, I was referring to VM's boxes.

I used the SCART sockets of my V+ and TiVo boxes to connect to my DVD recorder and VCR. I still have VHS tapes...

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@crypticcwrote:

I clicked on the reply button to Andre W's email.  Quote added

Thanks

Sorry, without your edit, with quote added later, I assumed you were referring to my statement that I was happy letting V6 do the upscaling.

I have tested both BBC HLG and Netflix PG with these settings. Yes, on the new software level that is currently being piloted.

See here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Firmware/td-p/3649408

So the new software has BBC 4k? And what's Netflix pg? Thanks

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
@Gmjh wrote:

The new software level being piloted has the promised HDR support.

This will explain HLG and PQ:

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/high-dynamic-range-the-different-standards/1872.article

@Ernie_Cwrote:
@Gmjh wrote:

The new software level being piloted has the promised HDR support.

This will explain HLG and PQ:

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/high-dynamic-range-the-different-standards/1872.article

....so when is this new software being rolled out to the masses?

When will we get the Update to the V6 Box. And is it HDR Update what is the Update. Thank you

...so just got my Samsung 4K TV over the weekend - what are everybody's preferred and best settings for a 4K display (I currently have the V6 set to 2160p and 2160 passthrough and the display looks pretty clear and sharp, with colours all looking nice and natural) ?

Smiley Indifferent

Keep 2160p pass through enabled and untick 2160  Tick 1080I.  Untick everything else. That set up means your tv with it's superior scaling will upscale 108i hd tv and the v6 will show 4k when it gets a 4k feed from Netflix etc