Menu
Ragdoll
Superfast
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

VM staff say no difference between v6 and Tivo

I have just phoned virgin as I might be interested in the v6 but the lady on the phone said there is no point getting it as we already have a 1tb tivo and two other tivo boxes. So I'm considering getting sky q as we are out of contract with VM.  I'm puzzled why VM would launch a box there is no better than tivo. 

**I dont feel I have to defend VM, cos I dont work for them, so my opinions really are my own. **
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM staff say no difference between v6 and Tivo

It depends what you (and the phone operative) mean by better.

V6 has 6 tuners versus TiVo's 3.
4K support (Netflix & YouTube)
Smaller physical size
Much faster UI
Wifi means streaming between boxes doesn't require an ethernet connection (wifi conditions dependent)

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Ragdoll
Superfast
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

She actually said there is no difference between the two,  but that clearly isn't the case. 

**I dont feel I have to defend VM, cos I dont work for them, so my opinions really are my own. **
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

This is why clamouring for orders to open before all the staff have been briefed properly is a disaster waiting to happen.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

It depends what you (and the phone operative) mean by better.

V6 has 6 tuners versus TiVo's 3.
4K support (Netflix & YouTube)
Smaller physical size
Much faster UI
Wifi means streaming between boxes doesn't require an ethernet connection (wifi conditions dependent)

That's a real shame...

In our house, we don't really have issues with needing more than 3 tuners. Very rarely do we record 2 programs at the same time and watch a third.

4k NF & YT, eh... Most 4k capable tv's will "most likely" (not all), have these available built-in to the television to stream at 4k already.

Smaller physical size - eh ok that's a bonus

Much faster UI - mmh, the last update seems to have restored some functionality back to the menu's

That being said, I personally don't see the point of getting one. Not saying everyone is in my situation, but for me, it seems like throwing good money away for something I already have (minus 3 extra tuners, but that's what catchup is for, right?).

TV these days has become so poor that I find myself mostly watching Netflix these days, and occasionally dipping into the sky movies section as I have that package.

I think I'll wait until the v6 becomes a free-ish upgrade in this case. Smiley Sad

Oh well, you lot enjoy the new box!

I didn't meen to doo-doo on this thread, I was just merely commenting on what differences there are between what I currently have and for forking out £100 for "pretty much the same".

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!
0 Kudos
waldopepper
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I was chatting to the engineer installing our v6 box yesterday and mentioned how one of the big selling points was the number of tuners, being able to record 6 channels is really useful. He said I was wrong, there was still the same as the Tivo! OK then :/

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The engineer was wrong..
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

here's the offical spec of the V6 http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/corporate/VirginTVV6boxfactsheet.pdf

Ignore the Dolby Atmos over optical (that's not possible)

Sky Q does't have Atmos nor does it have a 2.0a HDMi port it does have 2tb of storage but if you add a couple of other boxes it still has Two TB of storage The V6 will have have Six TB of storage if you add two extra boxes and 18 tuners and as you can stream between box this makes it a viable networked entertainment system.

The 2.0a was nice but the Atmos support is really keeping up with the latest tech for anyone with a home cinema

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

it's not £100 if you already have the biggest TV pack and 200 broadband. 

'I didn't meen to doo-doo on this thread, I was just merely commenting on what differences there are between what I currently have and for forking out £100 for "pretty much the same".'

I disagree it's not 'pretty much the same'. I can't wait for the faster response time and for (when we eventually get some) 4K channels. 6 tuners is double what we currently have.

'In our house, we don't really have issues with needing more than 3 tuners. Very rarely do we record 2 programs at the same time and watch a third.'

Actually I often record 3 at a time and because of overlaps, it cuts off either the beginning or end of a show. For me, even just the fact it won't need to shorten shows is a big plus, even if I currently will not record 6 at a time (who says that won't change in the future).

0 Kudos
Bingley
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

VM staff should have been trained and received all relative notes and had hands -on training weeks before this product was let live !!  . It  just shows from the pricing  mis-information that has been given out ,why this should have happened. Systems inhouse updated to handle this. But it just shows what a farce it`s already been.