Menu
Demand
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6

Why do virgin insist on a 100 broadband speed and a m+ tv package for the new box ,plus you have to pay for it ,seems that as a customer you should be given this as an update to replace the Tivo box as and when they can for free. I pay an extra £5 a month for the Tivo box that struggles to deliver ,just dawned on me ,silly person,its to get more money from you , not to just move with the times and keep up with sky whoes box is far better than the Tivo ,even the old sky box was faster. Come on virgin ,you boast about looking after your customers and being the best for broadband ,so roll out the box to everybody that has a Tivo box ,after all,the Tivo is not free.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6

IMHO It is quite right for Virgin Media, at least initially, to limit this new, premium product to those that pay for their TV service with them. Those on TV M or Player, as it is now called, do not pay for the TV service they get although, as you say, they do pay monthly for TiVo.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

as I understand it the V6 *needs* 100...

0 Kudos
Demand
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It explains why the Tivo box is slow to some extent,it has  10 meg dedicated to it ,so maybe they should double it so we at least get a better service if paying for it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately your assumption that the poor performance of TiVo is attributable to its network connection may not be valid.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nope - I'd think it's a combination of software/hardware.

0 Kudos
Demand
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would agree with last comment mostly,but it seems to me its slow broadband connection ,software and hardware ,if you don,t have the speed to get stuff downloaded with the combination of the other two,then you end up with the dial halfway through bbc iplayer and other things ,plus i press the button on the remote and sit back and wait,which ever way you look at it,we deserve better.

0 Kudos
Click4
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is just an understanding, not known if 100% true or not and only a possibility.

But as most know, the existing TiVo box had its own broadband connection via an inbuilt modem.

The V6 I gather doesn't have this inbuilt modem with dedicated broadband connection... which is why in some instances the hub 3 needs to be relocated so that the v6 box can be hard wired to the network connection socket on the hub 3 to ensure a reliable connection.

But, as it will now be sharing your home broadband connection, rather than utilising a dedicated broadband connection... it will eat into your bandwidth, so a faster connection is required.

0 Kudos
stpuk
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Given the shared bandwidth, it would be interesting to see if VM take orders for the V6 in areas with known utilisation problems Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Demand
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply , having to move the router as you say brings up another possible problem , if I put it next to my tv so I can connect the v6 to it , then the signal from the router will most likely not reach parts of my house given that I already have problems

0 Kudos