Menu
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

V6 with existing TiVo 500GB

I currently have 2 TVs with Virgin Boxes - my main living-room TV with a TiVo 500GB, and a TV upstairs with an old-school plain box (not even sure what it's called...).

I've been reading some of the press releases about the V6 and its features, which have been a little confusing (some not very precise journalism I suspect), so I have some questions:

i) If I buy a V6 (£50 up front I believe, I'm on Full House) and have that under the main TV, and move the TiVo 500GB upstairs, I will be able to watch recordings on the V6 box on the TiVo 500GB? I'm assuming I will have to connect both to my home wired network?

ii) In the setup described in i), would I be able to record TV on the TiVo 500GB and view the recordings on the V6 i.e. same as i) but in reverse?

iii) We have some shows on the TiVo 500GB that we don't want to lose. Would any part of the upgrade cause me to lose these recordings? It's stuff like family members/friends appearing on TV etc, so stuff we can't get elsewhere.

iv) One website suggested that you get the new Telly Tablet simply by buying a V6? I'm assuming this is only if you take out a new specific contract? It's an interesting looking device, but we already have tablets/phones/laptops for TV Anywhere.*

*As an aside, it would be useful to have more than 2 devices available for TV Anywhere. Even 4 would be far more convenient...

Many thanks for any information. I understand some things may not be entirely known yet - hopefully a mod will have a full spec sheet somewhere!

I've registered my interest on Virgin's website, so I hope to get the upgrade soon. I've been looking forward to a TV box update for some time - the TiVo is frustratingly sluggish, and feels a bit backward compared to Sky's interface. Hopefully the V6 will fix this! 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 with existing TiVo 500GB

piphil wrote:

I currently have 2 TVs with Virgin Boxes - my main living-room TV with a TiVo 500GB, and a TV upstairs with an old-school plain box (not even sure what it's called...).

I've been reading some of the press releases about the V6 and its features, which have been a little confusing (some not very precise journalism I suspect), so I have some questions:

i) If I buy a V6 (£50 up front I believe, I'm on Full House) and have that under the main TV, and move the TiVo 500GB upstairs, I will be able to watch recordings on the V6 box on the TiVo 500GB? I'm assuming I will have to connect both to my home wired network?

Yes

ii) In the setup described in i), would I be able to record TV on the TiVo 500GB and view the recordings on the V6 i.e. same as i) but in reverse?

Yes

iii) We have some shows on the TiVo 500GB that we don't want to lose. Would any part of the upgrade cause me to lose these recordings? It's stuff like family members/friends appearing on TV etc, so stuff we can't get elsewhere.

No

iv) One website suggested that you get the new Telly Tablet simply by buying a V6? I'm assuming this is only if you take out a new specific contract? It's an interesting looking device, but we already have tablets/phones/laptops for TV Anywhere.*

Unknown at this time, but I can't see them giving £300 tablets away

*As an aside, it would be useful to have more than 2 devices available for TV Anywhere. Even 4 would be far more convenient...

Many thanks for any information. I understand some things may not be entirely known yet - hopefully a mod will have a full spec sheet somewhere!

I've registered my interest on Virgin's website, so I hope to get the upgrade soon. I've been looking forward to a TV box update for some time - the TiVo is frustratingly sluggish, and feels a bit backward compared to Sky's interface. Hopefully the V6 will fix this!