Menu
sharkey1987
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 vpn streaming?

Hi everyone,

I was just sitting thinking, like many users out there I'm an iPhone user and one that does not have much storage left so downloading programmes to my phone ( as limited as it is) isn't really practical to me.

However I have a vpn server at home that I use to connect to my home network when out and about. So I was thinking would it be possible for me to connect to my home network when I'm on a separate network and stream recordings to my phone from the v6 as if I was in the house?

Has anyone tried anything like this yet?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 vpn streaming?

If you can convince it you're local then it might work - I'm not quite sure what it's looking for to discern if you're home or away.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
sharkey1987
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'll need to have a wee look when I get a chance and report back! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
TTTJJJ
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you manage to get this working?

0 Kudos
indie1982
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I got it to work by switching to OpenVPN on my server. It supports multicast so the mDNS discovery which TV Anywhere uses to find the V6 box now works. Before then, just using L2TP it didn't work.

Make sure the IP address your VPN server hands out is on the same subnet as the V6 box.
0 Kudos
TTTJJJ
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I dont have a server so I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. I was using OpenVPN but my router (Asus AC66U) puts the VPN connections onto a 10.x.x.x subnet when my LAN is on 192, so I imagine thats why mDNS doesn't seem to work because of the subnet difference. I couldn't change the settings either as it doesn't seem to want to allow the VPN to be on the same subnet. 

0 Kudos
indie1982
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That might put a block in the way of you getting it working.

You need to use the server-bridge option with OpenVPN which will allow the forwarding of DHCP packets.

Support for bridging the interfaces on the device running the OpenVPN server will also be a factor, I had to install bridgeutils to create a bridgeable interface on my box, but with you running it on a router I'm not sure how featured your environment will be.

0 Kudos