Menu
JeepUK
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

V6 upgrade questions

I'm very interested in upgrading from the existing Tivo box to the V6 and have been reading around for a couple of days to try and work out if it is really worth it.

1. I have a number of recordings unwatched on the Tivo - I know it can be accessed from the V6, but I keep it without it being connected to the Virgin network (but still on the home network, obviously), at least until I've cleared the outstanding recordings?
  2. I see I can transfer over series links so that the new box can take over all future recording - any issues/problems with the process?
  3. HDMI-CEC is a really important feature that the Tivo was missing and I've read elsewhere that the V6 still doesn't have it.  I know there are workarounds, but that's not good enough in 2017.
  4. I have Vivid 150 BB and M+ TV, so the spec is OK for the V6, but we are currently experiencing bandwidth issues in the evenings (fault expected to be reviewed in February) - will this have any effect on useability?

JeepUK

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 upgrade questions

1.  Think the TiVo will still need to be connected to VM to work I'm afraid. 

2. The transfer of series links etc took about half an hour on my V6. Very efficient. 

3. Agreed

4. If it's a fault in the local network then yes I guess it will make a difference. But if you decide on a V6 you'll be lucky to get an installation date very quickly so the fault may be fixed?

0 Kudos

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

2. The transfer of series links etc took about half an hour on my V6. Very efficient. 

3. Agreed

4. If it's a fault in the local network then yes I guess it will make a difference. But if you decide on a V6 you'll be lucky to get an installation date very quickly so the fault may be fixed?

0 Kudos
JeepUK
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Parrotperson wrote:

That's a shame - I won't need a second recording device.  I record mostly from Freesat and only use the Tivo for channels that aren't on Freesat or where there's more than two channels to record at once.  For some reason I can't get a good recording on ITV1 from Freesat so anything from ITV1 - not very much - goes to Tivo as well.

Sounds good then.

3. Agreed

I can only hope I suppose!

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I guess you'll have to weigh up whether it's a cost you want to bear to be able to do those things you can't on freesat. 

I'm not sure of the cost if you keep the TiVo box but try looking here http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/TiVo-V6-Pricing-Explained/m-p/3281148#M2437

0 Kudos
JeepUK
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I was considering doing all recording via the V6 especially with 6 tuners, but it misses two major features that I have right now - HDMI-CEC as mentioned earlier, and EPG change tracking.  If a program is delayed the freesat box goes into record standby mode at the designated time and only starts recording when the program starts and stops when the next program afterwards starts - no need for padding and it really works well, especially when football/tennis/any other sport overruns or there is a major news item, etc.  I would have expected these two to be standard features by now.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Regarding your second point, go into the TiVo forum and perform a search for "dynamic EPG", or "PDC"... Smiley Wink

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

JeepUK wrote:

I was considering doing all recording via the V6 especially with 6 tuners, but it misses two major features that I have right now - HDMI-CEC as mentioned earlier, and EPG change tracking.  If a program is delayed the freesat box goes into record standby mode at the designated time and only starts recording when the program starts and stops when the next program afterwards starts - no need for padding and it really works well, especially when football/tennis/any other sport overruns or there is a major news item, etc.  I would have expected these two to be standard features by now.

How many tuners does your Freesat box have?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
JeepUK
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

Two tuners - it's a Panasonic Freesat bluray/PVR.  They don't do them any more, just Freeview ones.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

JeepUK wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

Two tuners - it's a Panasonic Freesat bluray/PVR.  They don't do them any more, just Freeview ones.

I have one of the Freeview ones but, as much as I like it, it has its limitations. Two consecutive recordings on the same channel will take up both tuners for example. That is why it is much simpler to programme the code for it as it does not have the same capabilities of the Tivo/V6.

Personally I am quite happy for it not to have a facility like EPG tracking since I can have multiple programmes recording across several channels and last minute changes could make things very complicated.

To be honest I have not missed this feature in the six years I have had a Tivo.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
tracey86
Settling in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hi ive just upgraded to the v6 box in my front room and ive put my tivo in my bedroom just wondering how i can transfer my series links from tivo to v6 please help

0 Kudos