Menu
keithrob
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

V6 upgrade offer

Trying to decide whether to accept free V6 Box offer (£20 connection fee).

There seem to be a lot of problems showing on various forums with these boxes, and I am wondering if it is going to be nothing but aggro if I disturb what is at present a trouble free set-up.

Present set up is two TIVO boxes connected to HDTVs in separate rooms downstairs. Super Hub 3.0 is in study upstairs with three PC`s connected by ethernet cables.

My understanding is that the TV V6 box has to be within a few feet of  3.0 Hub and connected by ethernet cable.

Therefore if the superhub goes downstairs what happens to the connections to my three PC`s? Will I have to buy two Powerline adapters with three ethernet ports? Cannot see this being practical as nearest powerpoint would be too far from PC`s to be connected by cables I have. I tried to find answers to this situation via phone but the Indian lady I spoke to was unable to explain how it could work.

Can anyone help as I am on the point of cancelling the order?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
keithrob
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 upgrade offer

Yes. The more I understand your suggestions the more I like them.

When VM contact me to arrange an appointment I can tell them I can manage a self installation.

Many thanks again for your advice and patience.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Leave your configuration as it is and connect the V6 to your Hub 3.0 by either wifi or powerline using the extra Ethernet port in your Hub 3.0.

0 Kudos
keithrob
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So the Hub 3.0 would still move downstairs in proximity to the V6. Then I would use Powerline to connect up the three PC`s upstairs. But the ethernet cables will not reach from the powerline adapter to the PC`s. This would be an expensive fix.

You also mention wi-fi. What would this entail?

Sorry to be thick but I am 77 and struggling with all this technology!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No, leave everything where it is now.

Replace one of the TiVos with the V6.

The V6 uses its wifi capability to connect remotely to your Hub 3.0.

0 Kudos
keithrob
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I like that solution.

Just one question though. Why are VM saying that V6 box and 3.0 Hub must be within three metres of each other and connected by ethernet cable if the V6 can connect remotely via wi-fi?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Direct connection by cable is the most likely to give a reliable and performing connection and hence is the preferred connection. Powerline and wifi connection are dependent on your local environment and can be problematic.

Powerline connection is dependent on the quality of the electrical cabling In your property and wifi can be very variable, dependent on your home and the wifi signals from your neighbours.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
keithrob
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that helpful explanation and your previous replies.

I now have some thinking to do.

If I want the best quality TV via the V6 box then I should re-site the 3.0 Hub near a TV and connect with an Ethernet cable. Internet connections to the three computers upstairs would then be from the Hub either via Powerline adapters, or by wifi connection to cards to be fitted to each computer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don't think about it. You yourself stated your understanding could be better.

My recommendation is as I stated above. Wifi is more than likely to be acceptable to connect your V6 to you Hub 3.0 and, failing that, use powerlines for the V6 to Hub 3.0 connection.

This solution gives the minimum disruption to your current configuration and hence the least likely to disrupt your current Internet and PC environment.

0 Kudos
keithrob
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes. The more I understand your suggestions the more I like them.

When VM contact me to arrange an appointment I can tell them I can manage a self installation.

Many thanks again for your advice and patience.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

keithrob wrote:

I like that solution.

Just one question though. Why are VM saying that V6 box and 3.0 Hub must be within three metres of each other and connected by ethernet cable if the V6 can connect remotely via wi-fi?

The reason 3 metres is quoted is that self-install kits only come with a 3 metre ethernet cable. Nothing to stop you buying a cable thats longer yourself & using it.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos