Menu
JohnPop
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 to Tivo Connection

I have just had my Tivo V6 box installed and Existing Tivo relocated to the bedroom.

(Thanks to engineer for his efforts on only his second day with the company as he it came as a surprise to him he had to complete the install of the old Tivo in the bedroom which meant running a new cable right around the outside of the house)

I had checked on in the community before this to see if the boxes would then be able to be connected so as to able to play content stored on one to the other and vice versa. From the posts I had viewed it appeared that this was possible as I did not want to loose recorded shows on the Tivo.

After the install I tried to view the content on my old Tivo from the V6 box. I believe this is supposed to appear at the bottom of My Shows but it is not there.

In the Virgin Media app I can see both boxes and My Shows content but can no longer connect to the Tivo box with the app to use as a remote.

I believe this is because the Tivo no longer has an ethernet cable connected to my home network. Which is also I think why both boxes cannot see each others content. My thought process was then to contact customer services to request powerline connectors as I have no Ethernet connection in the bedroom.

This morning I contacted customer services regarding the lack of connection between the 2 boxes and was told that it is not possible for the boxes to be connected and this could only be done V6 to V6 this did surprise me which has prompted this post to check.

Just love technology
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 to Tivo Connection

Both boxes need to be connected to your Router to share content- either via direct ethernet or via PowerLine

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
richc2005
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the info you were given wasn't correct.

I have two V6s and one Tivo all connected via the router and I can watch recordings from any and on any.

The V6s are connected via WiFi but the Tivo doesn't have WiFi connection so is connected via Ethernet direct into the router (which it sits next to).

Hope that helps!

JohnPop
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As I suspected I appear to have been misinformed Customer Services.

Just love technology
0 Kudos
JohnPop
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Contacted customer services again and was informed that yes to connect the boxes together I would need to connect my TiVo to my home network by Ethernet as it was before the upgrade. Enquired about the powerline plugs but was told they would have to charge me £46 for them. He did then suggest I could have a look around for an alternative.

So it looks like it is back to Amazon to solve the problem. 

Just love technology
0 Kudos
AmusingUserName
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

From some personal experience I would suggest not going too cheap - it can cause you some problems! I could get my TiVo box to recognise the V6, but not the other way around for some reason. 

For the same kind of price, I invested in the BT Broadband Extender Flex 1000 Powerline Adapter Kit which I can say does work very well. Plugged them in straight away and they worked. For me the benefit of these ones are:

• Gigabit network sockets - why pay for quicker 600mb powerline adapters which then have 100mb ethernet connections on them?
  • Have two network sockets on each - this gives me a little more capacity on my router, as I didn't have a spare socket on my SuperHub, I could just move the PS3 connection to the secondary connection on the powerline adpater and away I go. Also means I now have a second ethernet plug near my bedroom TV, so that could be useful for adding in my smart tv in the bedroom.
  • Power Pass Through - it's quite useful again to not block off the power socket. It does add some 'bulk' to the socket, but when it's behind the TV cabinet in the corner of the room that wasn't a problem for me, though if you're trying to hide it behind a chest of drawers or something could be an issue.

When I was looking at options, to get those three requirements meant £50 was actually pretty reasonable, and as I say, they do work. the flashing blue lights may not be to everybody's taste though, so be careful!

JohnPop
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice.

I have been looking at pass through and the extra ports so was probably going to spend about the same as VM quoted me anyway but I will get more options this way. The blue lights on the BT powerlines should not be a problem as the sockets are reasonably well hidden by furniture where they will be located.

Just love technology
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looking at the specs of the BT ones, they only seem to have one Ethernet socket per adapter?

And just to point out that Virgin Media's Pass-through set for £50 do all that the BT ones do (barring the additional Ethernet socket if that does exist):

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
AmusingUserName
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The BT ones do have two gigabit sockets - though I only found that out by viewing the user guide on the BT website!

The Virgin Media ones are Netgear products, and they're normally great. I've had plenty of networking kit from Netgear (both at home and professionally) which works really well.

As with everything I guess, it depends on how you use it. The VM supplied ones are 1200 mbps, which if you're looking at pushing data around among multiple adapters will do a better job than the BT ones. Plus you can be confident the VM supplied ones will work with the VM equipment!

Ultimately, look at what you need and get the thing that fits the best.