Menu
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 self install done in B30 area!

So a colleague at work today said he popped around his fathers last night and was intrigued to see him packing his TiVo into a Virgin Media return package box. His father then showed him the new V6 box he had just self installed!

Apparently, unhappy with the price he was paying he rang VM who reviewed his package and reduced the price of it and asked if he wanted to swap his TiVo for one of their brand new V6 boxes (as he mentioned how slow his TiVo was). All it would cost him would be a one-off fee - my colleague then said "just under £15" - I said it was probably the £14.95 activation charge and he said yes that's the figure his father said.

They asked him if he was happy to attempt a self install and he said yes and within a couple of days the V6 box arrived by courier along with packaging so he could return his TiVo to VM. Apparently installation was a doddle - unscrewed the white coax cable from the back of the TiVo, slipped a VM supplied adapter on the end (not sure what this is for - is the coax socket on the V6 different?), connected it to the V6 box, rang 150 to get it activated and then it set itself up automatically!

I asked him what area this was and he said Birmingham B30. Anyone know what other areas are doing self installs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 self install done in B30 area!

...and what about the most important part of the V6 installation - the Internet connection of the V6 to the Superhub? Presumeably a direct Ethernet cable connection to a very close by Superhub.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did ask about this and apparently the VM rep did ask where the super hub was positioned and he said right next to the TiVo (as it is).

I asked my colleague about the ethernet connection and he said his father did not mention it specifically, but he could have forgot. My colleague said that as long as VM supplied an ethernet cable in the self install pack he would probably have just linked it up (especially if a guide told him to)!

I did ask whether it may just be using the wifi connection? Myself nor my colleague know how a V6 initial setup works but I said it needs to be connected to the internet to authenticate so if he has not connected it via ethernet it is more than likely that during the setup it automatically attempted to connect via wifi and would have asked for the wifi password. Colleague said his father knows his stuff so would have selected the wifi network and put the password in if it did ask without a second thought!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suspect initial self-installs, at least, will be only where the V6 and Superhub are in close proximity to allow direct Ethernet cable connection.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

I suspect initial self-installs, at least, will be only where the V6 and Superhub are in close proximity to allow direct Ethernet cable connection.

I wonder how that will work with VIP who will have two boxes to self install? I have two normal TiVo's - one right next to the hub 3 and the other connected via a power line adapter in another room - when I do get V6 boxes I personally will probably not bother with the wifi side of things.

Incidentally - you Super Users might know - how does the activation of new equipment (i.e. ringing 150) work if you have multiple boxes? It is quite likely that if I were doing it I would only swap one box at a time - make sure it is working and then swap the other (maybe a few days later after the first box). Does the activation "hit" account for this scenario so I would just ring up again when the second box was swapped?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Multiple boxes aren't possible with self install. That's applied ever since self install started so it's not specific to the Virgin TV V6 box. Anyone wanting to swap more than one TV box at the same time will get an engineer visit.

However as it's not offered for self install then there isn't any additional charge for the visit.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:
Multiple boxes aren't possible with self install. That's applied ever since self install started so it's not specific to the Virgin TV V6 box. Anyone wanting to swap more than one TV box at the same time will get an engineer visit.

However as it's not offered for self install then there isn't any additional charge for the visit.

That's given me something to ponder. The difficulty with the swap to V6 is finding a time when both boxes have relatively little in My Shows. I was hoping a self install would allow me to synchronise this better so we could double up recordings on one box, swap one to a V6, double up recordings on the new V6 whilst watching the recordings on the other TiVo and then finally swap the other TiVo to the V6 (if you see what I mean).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That would be possible, but you'd pay two activation fees doing it that way, as they're charged per order that includes a kit change. But as you're swapping one existing box to a new box per order then self install would be allowed. Again this is how it's worked for quite a while now, so not specific to the Virgin TV V6 box.

So up to you which is the most appropriate for your setup.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cheers BenMcr for clarifying and giving me some options to mull over.

0 Kudos