Menu
Zeeboo
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V6 second box, Ethernet needed?

I'm having my V6 installed soon and I heard that the two V6 boxes need to both be connected to the hub via Ethernet. That's no problem for the living room tv but the second box is upstairs in the bedroom. Do I need to buy a Powerline kit or will the engineer supply and fit a very long Ethernet cable for box two? I'm personally thinking I'd rather powerline than trailing leads even if they are nailed down. If I do get powerline what sort of Mbps should I buy? I've noticed the massive jump in price as the Mbps increase. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Quam256
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 second box, Ethernet needed?

The  second V6 can be connected by wireless .

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The V6s have Wifi which should be ok especial as one with be connected with an ethernet cable, if not you'd need powerline adapters.

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Another option is to wire your house with Ethernet ports just for a more direct solid connection as wifi can suffer problems, this can also be a bit of a pain at first to plan but worth it in the end.

(I did this with 1 cable leading up to the loft with a 24 port gigabit switch then down to various rooms to supply kids games consoles/tv's & 2nd access point) NETWORK IS FLAWLESS 😁
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

slipping slightly off topic,

When we moved in this house was totally unfurnished and needed to be rewired with some extra radiators etc..

So as the floorboards were up, I now a patch panel in a cupboard in my front room with all rooms wired with a couple of double ethernet sockets.

The virgin hub is in my front room so can be patched through to any socket in the house, I also have a number of switches in certan places such as where I am sitting which as a couple of pc's and dev kits etc.

The cat 5 is also used for my landline with a couple of adapters, and for some temperature monitoring stuff...I also have some alarm stuff running through some of the cables too, although that ought to be proper alarm wire, but I did check the tolerances and its within.,...