DieterML
Settling in
Message 31 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 remote control intermittently unresponsive for minutes at a time

Hi,

Same here!!

Explaination:

"Remote "key fob" designers intentionally limit size so they conveniently fit in your pocket.

However, the convenience comes at a big price - the tiny loop antenna inside is extremely inefficient, transmitting less than 10% of the energy pumped into it, while the rest is simply converted into heat.

When holding your remote to your head, your arm, shoulder and head form a much larger "body loop" antenna which is almost 100 times more efficient than the remote's antenna.

Then, just like in a transformer, the small single "winding" of the small loop magnetically couples with the larger, nearby single "winding" of your "body-loop".

The magnetic coupling between these two antennas is not great, but it's good enough to make the combination antenna around 2x to 3x better than the remote alone, resulting in a notable improvement in operating range."

Cure:  Put in a better/bigger/stronger loop antenna.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Callinder
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I've just got my V6 and remote today and I haven't paired it but it still seems to be going from IR to Bluetooth at random. When it decides to be a bluetooth device it's completely unresponsive and no matter how many time I push a button on the remote nothing works. Sometime the light on the front of the V6 lights up and it doesn't respond to the remote buttons being push and sometimes it doesn't light up and the box responds. I wish there was some way of disabling completely the bluetooth or IR but I've just paired it as I've been typing this and I did notice that the pairing is a bit weird. Hold the info key down, the light flashes green three times then goes solid green. It seems you must hold the info button down while it's solid green until it, while green, flashes twice then it's paired. Anyway it appears to be working now but only time will tell if this works all the time.

0 Kudos
1701-e
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Third time lucky I hope.

Third remote arrived yesterday- so far so good.

If anyone wants 2 V6 remotes that only work two handed let me know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 34 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hope this might help some of you. I have only used my V6 remote to test it shortly after the install about two months ago. The engineer left my Tivo remote which works with the V6 but I still use, unaltered, my Harmony One-for-All which I have used for years with a couple of Tivo boxes.

So, if you still have the previous Tivo remote then give it a try.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Callinder
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice Frank but it's a bit rich when you get a new V6 and the remote is hopeless.  I have to use the remote for the older TiVo I have as my new one works only when it feels like it! I've had the V6 for a few days and the remote has never worked for a whole day. So this morning it didn't work then it suddenly started to work at about 7:00 pm. Then at 11:00 pm it decided to stop working again. It's very annoying when it stops working when you're fast forwarding through adverts so I have to have the older remote handy.

0 Kudos
RichardMartin
Joining in
Message 36 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Any update on when there will be fix. I have to reboot my box everyday to get the remote to work

Nat_J wrote:

Hi all,

Really sorry for any inconvenience experienced with this.

Further to Kath's post, this is a known issue and the team are working to get this resolved ASAP.

There is no review date set at the moment, however, this should be provided fairly soon.

Many thanks and apologies once more,

Nat_J

Hi Nat,

Any updates? Having to reboot  the set top box everyday to get the remote to work is a pain

Richard

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 37 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hello RichardMartin,

Nat_J is away at the moment so I hope you don't mind if I respond.

I have checked this fault and it's still under investigation, the only work around at the moment is to reboot the box but once we have any further updates we'll be in touch.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
zetdec77
Tuning in
Message 38 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi this has started with me now, all of a sudden the remote stops working and at times it can take hours to work again.

It's fine saying reboot the box but when you are in the middle of recording programmes it's not always possible.

Too many faults with Virgin TV, think I'll be going back to Sky once my contracts up.

Declan
0 Kudos
justjust1
Tuning in
Message 39 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I would not bother with Sky my friend has Sky Q, trust me if you think rebooting once a day is bad, he has to reboot his Sky Q box 3 or 4 times in one evening.
Try getting Virgin to send you a IR remote (original TiVo remote) this will work perfectly until the RF remote issue is fixed.
0 Kudos
Callinder
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Just got a new V6 remote as my last one just stopped working completely. So far so good but I'm not going to tempt fate by activating bluetooth. I learned a long time ago "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

0 Kudos