Menu
stuartgiles
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 remote control intermittently unresponsive for minutes at a time

Have exactly the same problem. Contacted customer services several weeks ago and they sent me a new remote control but it is even worse! Definitely an issue that needs to be resolved.

0 Kudos
flathunt
Joining in
Message 12 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Weighing in, having the exact same problem with a brand new install (yesterday), paired OK but then goes unresponsive. It's unresponsive more than it works so I'll try to get a replacement. The remote in the TV anywhere app works flawlessly, but it's nicer to be able to use real buttons.

0 Kudos
RickW
Joining in
Message 13 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I phoned customer services yesterday and a new remote is on its way - hoping this will sort the issue but disappoint to read that previous poster has had a replacement and it's not better! Seems there might be a fundamental design flaw in the remote!

0 Kudos
flathunt
Joining in
Message 14 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I'd like the attention of a mod since I'm unable to get through to support any other way, the last time I called I waited on hold for 90 minutes and the chat client just says "we're too busy, try later".

I'd like to replace the V6 remote I have as mine hardly ever works now, it pops into life for 10 seconds at a time then dies for minutes, this with new batteries and no obstructions between the remote and the V6. I've paired and re-paired many time to no avail.

0 Kudos
stuartgiles
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Agree with last poster, phoned customer services again and they confirmed it is a 'known issue' but don't know when it will be fixed. I really think this needs to be escalated as it is not acceptable for this issue to continue indefinitely.

Can a moderator please advise?

0 Kudos
RickW
Joining in
Message 16 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Received my replacement remote and it has exactly the same problem. It does seem to respond to being squeezed at the sides on the bottom end of the remote which suggests it's an internal remote problem rather than anything to do with the V6 box. I've also noticed that when the remote is having problems the light on the remote doesn't always light up when a button is pressed and even when it does light up the box doesn't respond. Squeezing the remote on the sides seems to resolve this behaviour though. It is being used in paired mode rather than IR.

Frustrating and needs to be sorted as it's not the best of starts to a new service that costs more money - the basics of being able to control the system as designed should be sorted before release (especially as Virgin note this to be a known issue!)

Rick

0 Kudos
justjust1
Tuning in
Message 17 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Yes with more and more devices being bluetooth interference is bound to happen.

The question will be 'do you have any other bluetooth devices near the V6 box' the main issue is that most modern TVs now have bluetooth built in especially the latest smart TVs.

I have a Mac Mini running on a bluetooth mouse and keyboard sat right next to my Tivo as its all in a AV cabinet.

I also have issues with my remote,  but i kept my original Tivo remote which works perfectly as it is IR not bluetooth. Prehaps Virgin need to supply both as standard and have the engineers explain why.

My V6 was installed on Wednesday and i have to say the speed of the menus is so much better - tbh the guy that installed it just swapped the box booted it up activated it and left which is fine because its pretty much the same menu system as the old Tivo.

I also was impressed with the ablity to transfer Series links from the older box online! Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Iggipoppop
Joining in
Message 18 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I got my v6 box installed about 2 hours ago and I'm having the same issues with the remote but I have made a discovery . . . If I hold the remote in the palm of my hand and use my thumb to press the buttons it hardly ever works, if I hold the remote so my palm is on top and I use my fingers to press the buttons, it works most of the time!! My guess is that the internal receiver must be in a stupid position and it gets blocked up by my palm!

Can anyone else test this theory so that virgin can sort it out! Sending a replacement remote wouldn't change the internals, a new design might be required!
justjust1
Tuning in
Message 19 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Nope, makes no diffrence for me!

0 Kudos
RickW
Joining in
Message 20 of 63
Flag for a moderator

It's worth noting it doesn't connect via Bluetooth - it is RF. As previously stated there are no other devices that could interfere.

How you hold it can make all the difference which is why I think it is a design flaw with the remote

0 Kudos