Menu
gavinm42
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 playing recorded programmes from Tivo

Received my new V6 today and old Tivo moved to kitchen.

Now been told that the only way I can play Tivo recordings on the V6 is if they are connected via ethernet to the router.

I only have one spare ethernet slot on the router.

Can I use an ethernet splitter box and run the ethernet cables from that to the V6 and Tivo.

Thanks

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 playing recorded programmes from Tivo

gavinm42 wrote:

Received my new V6 today and old Tivo moved to kitchen.

Now been told that the only way I can play Tivo recordings on the V6 is if they are connected via ethernet to the router.

I only have one spare ethernet slot on the router.

Can I use an ethernet splitter box and run the ethernet cables from that to the V6 and Tivo.

Thanks

How is your V6 is connected to your router at the moment?  

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
gavinm42
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Via wifi

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK, so if your WiFi connection is good enough then it can handle the transfer of your recordings to the router and you can then use the spare slot to connect your Tivo.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
gavinm42
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've been told by the V6 expert at Virgin that both boxes have to be connected to the router using ethernet for the V6 to read the Tivo recordings.

I was previously told by people in 'retentions' that they would see each other via wifi but as the old Tivo boxes don't have wifi that was clearly the wrong info.

Not overly impressed with the advice I've had from CS, phoned three times before ordering the V6 and everyone told me that the V6 would see the Tivo without ethernet.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

gavinm42 wrote:

I've been told by the V6 expert at Virgin that both boxes have to be connected to the router using ethernet for the V6 to read the Tivo recordings.

I was previously told by people in 'retentions' that they would see each other via wifi but as the old Tivo boxes don't have wifi that was clearly the wrong info.

Not overly impressed with the advice I've had from CS, phoned three times before ordering the V6 and everyone told me that the V6 would see the Tivo without ethernet.

It is possible a lack of clarity about the wording, many people do not use the correct terminology.

The basic fact is that you need a network connection between your V6 and router just so that it works correctly, regardless of whether or not you want it to see the Tivo. That connection can be an ethernet connection, either directly or via powerlines, or it can be via WiFi. I have an ethernet connection to my V6 but, if I disconnect it, the WiFi connection kicks in. I have tested both Netflix and iPlayer via WiFi and they work fine.

I can play Tivo recordings on my V6 and vice-versa but I can only do this via my ethernet connections as both are routed via the same switch back to the router and it would be a pain to re-configure my network just to test it. However, I am sure that other posters have confirmed that they have a V6 connected via WiFi and an ethernet connection to the Tivo and have been able to play recordings successfully.

Try it and see.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
gavinm42
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, you were spot on, connected the tivo via ethernet and the V6 sees it without an ethernet.

Not impressed with VM, they've clearly not trained their staff on V6, both the engineer and all backroom staff have mentioned a lack of training.

Seems that VM think that as it's still basically Tivo software so no need to get staff up to speed. I've ended up buying 2 ethernet leads and a splitter when I only needed one and was originally told I wouldn't need anything but the box itself.

0 Kudos
pdrobi
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Very interesting to read these posts and confirms my suspicion that I was given bad information by VM staff. Just before Christmas I spoke to 2 different members of staff who both told me that the V6 box had to be sat next to the router and that it wouldn't work over powerline or WiFi so I ended up getting another TiVo. Disappointing for me and I'm sure for VM too as they lost a sale. 

I do love TiVo but the boxes are so so slow now after the last update and I would have loved a V6. If any VM staff with any influence read this please train your staff for your sake and ours.

0 Kudos
gavinm42
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well it seems that you do need both boxes connected using ether net.
If the V6 is on wifi then all recordings on the tivo keep buffering.
It then tells you that you have a slow/poor network connection and should use ethernet.
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

gavinm42 wrote:
Well it seems that you do need both boxes connected using ether net.
If the V6 is on wifi then all recordings on the tivo keep buffering.
It then tells you that you have a slow/poor network connection and should use ethernet.

That depends on how good your wifi is. I have my main ethernet to HUB, and tivo is on ethernet to powerline adaptor, 2nd V6 is ethernet to wifi extender (couldn't use powerline for that one as different electrical circuit) can watch recordings on all of them.

0 Kudos