Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12 (1,138 Views)

V6 picture quality compared to old tivo box

I know quite a few of you have these v6 boxes installed now (i've still got a month to wait for mine) and was wondering how you find the picture quality (hd and sd) compares with the old tivo box? What are peoples initial impressions?
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12 (1,124 Views)

Re: V6 picture quality compared to old tivo box

for me all pictures quality are the same for both SD and HD . only great things about V6 are now everything so responsive, select chs, apps, play recorded shows , fast forward everything are like night and day .   

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12 (1,078 Views)

I cannot see any picture quality difference on SD or HD between V6 & my original Tivo, do not have 4k tv so can't try that yet.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 12 (1,060 Views)

jommy999 wrote:

for me all pictures quality are the same for both SD and HD . only great things about V6 are now everything so responsive, select chs, apps, play recorded shows , fast forward everything are like night and day .   

...yep, have to agree with you. HD and SD are the same on my V6 as they were on the TiVo, as well.  

The real difference, though, is the speed at which you can navigate the menus - no more pressing a button and then 2 to 3 seconds later, you get a response (like the TiVo did). On the V6, its an instant response. Even when pressing the 'Home' button, it instantly takes you to the 'Home' screen.

In addition, on my TiVo, when I was viewing the 'Guide' and then pressing the 'TV' button on the remote,to get back to watching live tv, the TiVo would first go to a completely black screen for 2 to 3 seconds before switching to live tv. The V6 instantly switches from the Guide, to live tv, when you press the 'TV' button on the remote. That was my biggest bugbear with the TiVo!!! 

Message 5 of 12 (876 Views)

Just had my v6 box fitted Saturday and have to disagree. My wife has even said the picture seems better and she struggled to notice hd and sd difference and to be honest watching it tonight i have to agree the picture is in our opinion much better.

That is of course added to how fast this box is its amazing apps are like instant and the menus etc everything really is so much better and the old tivo box is now upstairs and that looks a better picture compared to the 3rd V+ box it replaced oh and the amazing fact you pair the boxes up so you can watch all your recordings upstairs or down stairs truely brilliant idea

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12 (850 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think that when they created the V6, because of its higher spec compared to the original TiVo, the V6 ends up making SD channels, a lot more clearer and thus, makes these SD channels, almost the same as the HD channels (hence so many posts on the forums lately from new users saying that SD and HD are nearly the same), whereas on the original TiVo, it was a lower specced machine so the differences between SD and HD channels were more noticeable.

Up to speed
Message 7 of 12 (832 Views)

We have two V6 boxes, one with a Panasonic Plasma and one with a Panasonic LED, both 1080p.

With both boxes left at their default 1080p, I find the pictures to be superb.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12 (813 Views)

deans6571 wrote:

I think that when they created the V6, because of its higher spec compared to the original TiVo, the V6 ends up making SD channels, a lot more clearer and thus, makes these SD channels, almost the same as the HD channels (hence so many posts on the forums lately from new users saying that SD and HD are nearly the same), whereas on the original TiVo, it was a lower specced machine so the differences between SD and HD channels were more noticeable.

I believe it's a problem somewhere as SD and HD look totally different and I can easily tell which one I'm watching. Anyway you need to make your mind up, earlier in this very post you say that HD and SD are the same on your V6 as they were on your TiVo and now you're saying the total opposite. Without trying to be rude I swear you just make things up depending on what day it is and forget what you've posted in the past. 

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 12 (792 Views)

[ Edited ]

shawty1984 wrote:

deans6571 wrote:

I believe it's a problem somewhere as SD and HD look totally different and I can easily tell which one I'm watching. Anyway you need to make your mind up, earlier in this very post you say that HD and SD are the same on your V6 as they were on your TiVo and now you're saying the total opposite. 

....actually, you're quite right there. As I read my earlier post on this thread, it didn't really make any sense!??!  What i should have said was that on the original TiVo, the differences between SD and HD were like chalk and cheese (a massive difference) whereas on the newer and higher specced V6 boxes, they have made the differences closer together - I believe that the HD picture (referring to HD and not UHD) has stayed the same as the TiVo, however, the bump in spec from the V6 actually improves the SD so much so, that HD and SD look similar.

Of course, I am not doubting when you say, you can easily tell which one you're watching - so can I (some channels have a bigger HD vs SD difference than others. i.e. Channel 5 HD looks pretty much the same as Channel 5 SD whereas Sky One SD looks quite fuzzy, and Sky One HD looks great), but I still don't think this is down to user error.  Perhaps different TVs, obviously produce different results when SD vs HD is compared - as there are so many permutations (TVs, TV settings, V6 settings, etc), it's impossible to post up 'a solution' which may work for some but not for others......... 

Joining in
Message 10 of 12 (549 Views)

this sounds positive, I am thinking of upgrading to a V6, i get fed up with the waiting times navigating menus, I watch IPLAYER and Netflix via my Xbox as it is so slow on TIVO

0 Kudos