Menu
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 picture quality - another view

Having been delighted by the picture quality on my new V6 on a Panasonic Full HD TV I had a new experience today. Having received the six weeks free Sky Sports offer, I watched it for the first time today, the Arsenal game.

It was obviously not HD quality but since my last experience of Sky Sports SD was several years ago and it was very poor, I was again delighted by the upscaled SD picture.

As I said, not HD, but it is definitely watchable and when I asked my other half to comment, she said the same thing as me. She also said, oh no, not more football, but that is another story.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Dereklad
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 picture quality - another view

Does the v6 box upscale sd to hd on all the channels then..well no hd but upscale to better quality then..

Cable customer from its inception in 80's in Birmingham .have never missed a bill payment.my package is big kahuna xl tv..200mb internet..and free sky movies for 6 months..+tivo box.
Ps4 & Amazon firestick.
+size 9 feet..iphone 7 plus..
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dereklad wrote:
Does the v6 box upscale sd to hd on all the channels then..

I have watched a couple of SD channels, when I must, and they were perfectly watchable. Currently have BBC 102 (Scotland) on, an SD channel but a decent picture. I suspect that if the source material is filmed in HD then that is when you will see the benefit.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Nialli
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SD picture quality on the V6, for me, looks a little better than it did on my Samsung TiVos, but it very much depends on the channel. The BBC, ITV and Channel 4 pictures all look good, not quite HD but good enough, whereas others are a mixed bag. I watched some CNN the other day and that looked poor next to BBC News and Sky News.

The Sky Cinema channels are now in HD at no extra cost so I guess the SD is only there for people with very old V+ boxes or old TVs. There's a huge difference on those channels between the SD and HD.

Sky Sports has always been a less than stellar HD service to my eyes - others (notably BT Sports and live sport on the BBC or ITV) suggest that Sky aren't showing UK sports in the highest quality. Their US football though is good HD, which suggests they're perhaps using less than optimum cameras pitch side. Or maybe it's a deliberate ploy to boost UHD sales?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suspect that Nialli and I have similar views on the V6 SD capability. If the source material is good enough then the the picture quality will be acceptable.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've gotta say that Channel 5's HD equivalent, seems to be one of the worst for me! SD and HD content look almost identical and I have also noticed that quite often, I will get pixelation, during a program, but only on this channel?!?!

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

I've gotta say that Channel 5's HD equivalent, seems to be one of the worst for me! SD and HD content look almost identical and I have also noticed that quite often, I will get pixelation, during a program, but only on this channel?!?!

I don't disagree, I have always thought that Channel 5's broadcasting standards are quite poor.

¡No Pasarán!
Nialli
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure 5 have all their movies encoded for HD. They show The Princess Bride frequently and it looks pants, whereas on other channels it looks good. However, 5 On Demand's picture is often surprisingly good for SD - they had a series called Classic X-Files last year and the PQ for that was nice and crisp

0 Kudos
Nialli
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

deans6571 wrote:

I don't disagree, I have always thought that Channel 5's broadcasting standards are quite poor.

+1. Typical of old owner Richard Desmond's operation but disappointing from new owner Discovery. 

0 Kudos