Menu
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

V6 - pause live tv and carry on watching on a different v6

It was my understanding you could pause live tv on one v6 and then carry on watching it in a different room on a different v6 box. Does anyone know how to do this? I've read you need everything linked with powerline adapters or ethernet cable to do this. My set up is wired with cat6 but i still can't figure it out.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 - pause live tv and carry on watching on a different v6

With recordings, yes, but not Live TV.

0 Kudos
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, i can access recordings no problem but the ability to pause live tv and pick up on a different v6 is mentioned in several places and as part of virgins own v6 specsheet - just wish i knew how to do it. Did anyone get any instructions with their v6?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Interesting link. Have you managed to get it working without having to fast forward through the buffer?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Let's put this to bed simply.

You can continue a recording on a different TV because of multiroom streaming MRS and the ability to see the My Shows recordings of one box on another box.

You can't do this with Live TV because one V6 has no idea what the other V6 box is doing. Even if the second V6 was buffering the same channel as you were watching, it has no idea where you had watched to.

If it happened to be buffering the same channel, you can continue but only by rewinding the second boxes buffer and only if you get there before the part of the buffer you want is not overwritten.

0 Kudos
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I get there are workarounds to make this happen but I expected this to happen straight from the box, Virgins's own 'Virgin TV V6 Box specsheet' says under the category 'Finish where you left off' and I quote "Recordings, on demand and live TV can be watched in one room, paused and continued in another seamlessly through any TiVo powered box". Based on that either:-

a) It is possible but nobody knows how to do it

b) The hardware is capable but the software isn't ready yet

c) It's a blatant lie

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It seems logical to me that it is impossible.

Say you had two V6s. You are watching channel 101 on one of the V6s and the box will be buffering that channel and five others.

Suppose the other V6 is buffering six channels but not channel 101.

There is simply no way you can continue to seamlessly continue watching on the second V6 as it's not buffering channel 101.

0 Kudos
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Then if it's not possibe to do without the other box buffering the same channel (which would be a matter of chance) or fast forwarding through 50mins of what you've already watched in another room then why are virgin claiming that it can? Surely this is false advertising based on what i quoted from virgin earlier in this thread?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I found out how to do it. You have to press Record before you move to the other V6 as follows:

1. Watching a show on live TV? Press the Record button. This will let you pick up the action when you stream the recording in another room.

2. Get yourself comfy in the new room, then grab your remote and select My Shows. Scroll down to the end and you’ll see the name(s) of Virgin TV boxes you have connected together.

3. Select the Virgin TV box you were using. Press OK.

4. Then choose the show you want to watch and press OK.

0 Kudos