Menu
derekchoate
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 not connecting to network using ethernet

Hi All,

I just received my new V6, but wasn't able to get it to connect to my home network using ethernet.  For background, I have my own home network based on Ubiquiti products, so the Super Hub is in modem mode.  I tried plugging it directly into my switch and also directly in to the Super Hub even though I suspected this would have no effect.  Both failed.  

I was, however, able to get it to connect to my home WiFi (though even that showed some oddity as it didn't like the 5GHz network).

WiFi works, but it's not ideal, so I'd like to figure out how to get it on to the wired connection if possible.  Any good ideas out there?

Cheers,
Derek

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
derekchoate
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 not connecting to network using ethernet

Ignore that ... discovered the problem ... switch wasn't configured properly Smiley Sad

0 Kudos

All Replies
derekchoate
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ignore that ... discovered the problem ... switch wasn't configured properly Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Complete hijack of the thread now you've fixed it - What are you using from Ubiquiti?

I'm tempted to get a couple of AC Pros, but not quite sure I can justify the cost.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
derekchoate
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've got a USG, UAP AC, UAP Outdoor and two HP 1910 POE switches.  In the beginning Ubiquiti had great hardware, but the firmware was a little on the shoddy side.  Now, I think they've got the firmware sorted and I really have no complaints.  I really love how easy it is to centrally manage and configure their kit and how fast and reliable my home network is now.

A couple words of warning though.  First, the kit is plug and play - except when it isn't, so make sure you're comfortable with command line, SSH, etc, etc. When things do go wrong they are usually easy enough to fix and the community is usually quick to help.  Secondly, most of their new APs use non-standard POE, so I would suggest using their switches if you want to avoid power bricks and faff! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm rusty, but can muddle my way through if needed Smiley Happy

That was the main reason for considering the AC Pros - they are using standards compliant PoE so I can just get a couple of injectors rather than have to find a home for full switches.

It's not an expansive area I need to cover by any means, a couple of them would suffice, but the reliability would be good!

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
derekchoate
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I personally recommend a PoE switch over the power injectors as I find them horribly unsightly in my home.  That being said, I'm pretty sure you can get power injectors for all the units - even the non standard ones.  

I've also got a small area to cover (only about 75 square meters) but my house was built in the 1850's and you need a pretty decent AP to get through my  walls Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unsightly I can hide, unreliable I can't live with!

Unfortunately the VM hub is in one corner of the house, so getting signal down to the living room at the diagonally opposite corner of the house isn't great.

0 Kudos