Menu
Fizzhog
Tuning in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

V6 issues with Surround Amp...known glitch

Hi,

had the V6 installed on 3rd Jan. replaced my TiVo box (relocated to bedroom).

My setup is as follows:

V6 connected to pioneer surround Amp (SC-LX59) with hi-speed hdmi cable

hdmi cable from Amp into HD Panasonic tv.

this setup was exactly the same with my TiVo box previously...after working fine for a couple of hours. Turned it off and when I came to turn it back on there was no picture when watching iPlayer but fine when watching other channels. I was advised to reset box by Virgin Media...then lost sound and picture through this perfect setup. In the end had to plug in V6 with hdmi directly to to and not through Amp.

spoke to VM and they  say that this is a known problem with a software glitch within the V6 box and unfortunately, there is nothing they can do until TiVo the manufacturers send a software update at some point in the future to the box! 

So, for now no surround sound which is rather frustrating given the set up that I have!!

For now no surround sound which is rather frustrating given the set of that I have!!

Would be great to hear if anyone else is encountered this or found a solution in spite of virgin media? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 issues with Surround Amp...known glitch

No solution - SkyQ users are also bypassing it

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Smudge1039
Joining in
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had exactly the same issue when the V6 box was installed with an Onkyo AV receiver and a Panasonic TV (HD).

I found two different solutions to the issue, in addition to connecting directly to the TV.

1. Connect the V6 into the AUX HDMI connector - this seems to by-pass the HDCP2.2 issue and allows the video signal to play on my TV.

2. I bought an HDMI splitter box and placed this between the V6 box and the Onkyo - this appears to strip out the HDCP2.2 signal and allows the V6 to be connected into the CBL/SAT socket in the Onkyo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EH6XTM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Goronya 2 Port HDMI to HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 out Amplifier Support 4K x 2K Ultra HD and 3D Full HD 1080P

I think the issue maybe caused by the Panasonic TV not being fully HDCP2.2 compatible - which works ok when it is the only device in the chain, but when there is an extra device (the AV receiver) in the chain the HDCP protocol blocks the video signal... The only way I can test this is if I buy a new 4k TV - however I think the wife may have a couple of words on that option...

Trevora
Tuning in
Message 23 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your reply and interest Rose_B.

Just to update you further, 'Karma AV' (UK Distributor for Primare) very kindly collected the Primare SPA23 4KVM amplifier last Thursday and carried out a software update. This was a beta update and one not officially released by Primare as yet.  

The amplifier was returned to me on the Saturday morning (24 hour turnaround) and when I re-connected it back into the system, it synced first time. Up to now, everything is working fine with no further syncing issues.

I will say that Karma AV have been first class at helping me work through this issue. However, I am still being cautious as once before, everything seemed OK - but only four days later the issue re-appeared.

Hopefully, the software update may have resolved this issue or perhaps there could even have been one from Virgin in the meantime. Who knows?

I will update this posting should the issue re-appear.

Thank you for your interest and helpful information. 

All Replies
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

That sounds more like the amp not passing through HDCP2.2 handshaking correctly - which I've seen others reporting away from TiVo.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Fizzhog
Tuning in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

For now I've resolved the issue by using the hdmi going directly into tv and using an optical cable from V6 to the Amp - sorted. However, very annoying that the V6 not 'handshaking properly' because of HDCP 2.2 protocol.

have you come across another solution?

thanks

ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No solution - SkyQ users are also bypassing it

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Johnboy62
Joining in
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I had a v6 box installed yesterday to replace my creaking TiVo box. I connected through an LG surround sound to an LG tv. I got no picture at all on anything. Contacted Virgin on a couple of occasions to be finally told my equipment might not work with the box, when the feed was direct into the tv it worked. I am returning the v6 box and going back to TiVo for the last couple of months of my contract.

Surely Virgin should let their customers know that  there is a possibility that their box might not be compatible with a surround system, this would then let the customer make the choice if they wanted the box installed rather than having the hastle of trying to sort the problem out.

Smudge1039
Joining in
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had exactly the same issue when the V6 box was installed with an Onkyo AV receiver and a Panasonic TV (HD).

I found two different solutions to the issue, in addition to connecting directly to the TV.

1. Connect the V6 into the AUX HDMI connector - this seems to by-pass the HDCP2.2 issue and allows the video signal to play on my TV.

2. I bought an HDMI splitter box and placed this between the V6 box and the Onkyo - this appears to strip out the HDCP2.2 signal and allows the V6 to be connected into the CBL/SAT socket in the Onkyo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EH6XTM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Goronya 2 Port HDMI to HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 out Amplifier Support 4K x 2K Ultra HD and 3D Full HD 1080P

I think the issue maybe caused by the Panasonic TV not being fully HDCP2.2 compatible - which works ok when it is the only device in the chain, but when there is an extra device (the AV receiver) in the chain the HDCP protocol blocks the video signal... The only way I can test this is if I buy a new 4k TV - however I think the wife may have a couple of words on that option...

Fizzhog
Tuning in
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Before returning the V6, as it has great picture and advantages over TiVo box, can you bypass hdmi to get surround sound as I did?

cheers

fizzhog

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

It is not a V6 issue - the problem is with the amp.

You'll get the same issue however you decide to watch 4k if you go via the amp.

The way most people get around the issue is to feed their amp with the sound from the tv rather than the device - but some soundbars do not allow that.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Tomcat3
Tuning in
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Had my V6 installed on Jan 4 it replaced the original Tivo. I too am running it through an Onkyo receiver into an LG 1080P HD TV all connected with HDMI cables, no problems at all! The engineer just plugged  in the coax and the Ethernet cables put the latest software onto the box then went upstairs and done the same thing with a second V6 in the bedroom. No problems at all no resetting anything on the receiver or TV!

By the way I retained my Super Hub 2ac as I did not want any of the problems surrounding the Hub 3. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Fizzhog
Tuning in
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Speaking to Virgin Media last week...the problem of losing picture, sound or both is happening with some surround sound amps/ receivers and not all.  Btw i wasn't trying to output 4K from my V6 box just standard 1080p HD to my Panassonic Plasma but signal routed through Pioneer SC-LX59 using HDMI (high speed).    

0 Kudos