Menu
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 81 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 for free?

spritley wrote:

So the V6 can't just be attached to the white coax cable that the previous boxes used?

No. (Unless anybody has tried this and can say that it fully works without.) It uses your broadband for catching up with anything you haven't recorded apart from a variety of other functions.

0 Kudos
spritley
Dialled in
Message 82 of 87
Flag for a moderator

What an absolute pain. Smiley Sad

Everything is hard wired Cat6 here in Modem mode and all ports are already being used.

0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 83 of 87
Flag for a moderator

spritley wrote:

What an absolute pain. Smiley Sad

Everything is hard wired Cat6 here in Modem mode and all ports are already being used.

OK so head off to Amazon (other suppliers are available) and purchase a Netgear switch (the Netgear GS208-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch is very good and was £14.99). Disconnect a device from your current router, connect that port to the switch (any socket) and then you can start to add more devices including the one you just disconnected from the original router and the V6 box. That still now leaves you with 5 extra ports should you need them. I hope that helps. 

0 Kudos
spritley
Dialled in
Message 84 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I know that can be done but it doesn't stop the fact that having to start adding extra clutter boxes patch cables and power supplys for the sake of a TV box when the previous ones had their own internal modem a complete pain.

Plus people gaming shouldn't have a TV box fighting over QOS bandwidth when we never had to share it before.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 85 of 87
Flag for a moderator

..... or you could connect your V6 by wifi.

0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 86 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

..... or you could connect your V6 by wifi.

I did cover that option.

0 Kudos
brightonjohn
Superfast
Message 87 of 87
Flag for a moderator

spritley wrote:

I know that can be done but it doesn't stop the fact that having to start adding extra clutter boxes patch cables and power supplys for the sake of a TV box when the previous ones had their own internal modem a complete pain.

Plus people gaming shouldn't have a TV box fighting over QOS bandwidth when we never had to share it before.

Well, as there clearly isn't an answer that you like I suggest that you put up with your current arrangement. I may be wrong here but I think I'm right in saying that the V4 TiVo is pretty much the only box (perhaps the older SKY boxes as well) that don't require an internet connection (unless you want to use the apps). 

0 Kudos