Menu
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 70 (249 Views)

Re: V6 for free?

> Say a V6 cost Virgin Media as little as £50, what would the total cost to replace all TiVos with V6s and how much would everyones' monthly charge have to go up to replace this revenue/profit to Liberty Global?

A better question would be: How much money would Virgin lose if I took my business elsewhere?

Presumably, the cost of equipment is factored into the service fee. That's why we're renting and why Virgin still owns all the boxes. Being a required component of providing the service, this is essentially an infrastructure cost to maintain the service, and continue to provide a competitive product.

It's like saying 'how much does it cost Virgin to maintain all the underground cables?'. It's irrelevant to the customer. Either the service we're paying for works, or it doesn't. New customers get a shiny new box that offers 4K, can record more shows at once, and is presumably faster and a nicer experience - and they're paying half the cost we are. Meanwhile, customers like myself and cjp1 have a broken box that, through successive upgrades, has rendered it excruciatingly slow, and cannot do those features.

I'm paying £76/mo. For the sake of a £50 box, choosing a competitor would lose Virgin over £9,000 over a 10 year period that I might otherwise be a customer, if they would treat loyal customers as fairly as new ones. It's simple economics.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 22 of 70 (246 Views)

they dont need to because people in the UK are Lazy. you can swap supplies at the end of each contract. Do to Sky now. In 2 years swap back to VM or BT.

But you won't the same as most people. They are too lazy to do the extra work so Providers can so this and nothing will hurt them.

You could swap but you don't you are here moaning you dont get the best deal. So VM are winning.

and its not just you. Sky will be doing the same. People moaning over on there forums about costs of the new Q box but stay with Sky.

Ball is in your court. What will you do.
I'll give you the link to sky to start things moving.

http://www.sky.com/shop/sky-bundles/
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 70 (244 Views)

I only discovered the V6 a couple of days ago. I haven't made any moves yet because I'm giving Virgin the chance to play fair. In all likelihood, they won't, and I'll cancel. Then I'll get the inevitable phone call from the retention team, and I'll probably take some form of a deal. If not, I'll cancel, await the faff of a disconnection, and sign up as a new customer under my partner.

My point here is that it's a total waste of time and money for both parties. They're missing a trick by not having users sign up to a longer term contract when the previous expires.
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 24 of 70 (239 Views)

I'm sick of the attitude in here and other forums of people moaning because they don't get something for free. The cost of the V6 box is £50/ £100 depending on what package you are on. The packages also have official pricing, VIP being £120pm. These are the prices, pay them or leave. What VM or any other company offer to new subscribers is none of anyone's business other than VMs. If they believe they make more money this way then that's up to them, not us. 

On our wavelength
Message 25 of 70 (221 Views)

Shawty, it's not something for free. I've given Virgin over £10k over the life of my relationship with them. I'd just like to get the FULL service I pay for, which with the current (broken) TiVo box, I'm not. IMO, it's up to Virgin to rectify this, not me to spend even more.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 26 of 70 (218 Views)

you haven't given them £10k its not like VM pocket all that money. you have paid VM to build, Maintain and supply services. the amount of profit VM take from that 10k is likey a very small amount.

and as i said. to get the best deal you need to keep swapping suppliers
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 70 (212 Views)

[ Edited ]

> you haven't given them £10k its not like VM pocket all that money. you have paid VM to build, Maintain and supply services. the amount of profit VM take from that 10k is likey a very small amount.

Obviously it's not all profit, where did I say it was? Totally irrelevant to the topic.

The money I give them is to supply a service. They are not supplying the same level of service other customers are getting, at half the cost.

This has nothing to do with wanting something for free. It's common sense. Give me the best level of service so that I keep giving you money. Not rocket science.

I don't expect someone who has written over 20,000 messages in this forum to be anything other than completely and utterly biased toward Virgin, but it doesn't change the fact that Virgin are ****** loyal customers off by leaving them in the dark, and this carries a business cost. If it didn't, they wouldn't call to retain, or send marketing materials every month to customers that have disconnected in favour of BT/Sky/etc.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 28 of 70 (207 Views)

"utterly biased toward Virgin' Sure i am. that is why i'm not a VM customer and i've told you to leave for another provider.

But i stand by what i said you will mean but wont take action by leaving. Lazy. i'll move to anyone that gives me a better or cheaper service. i'm not loyal to any provider.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 70 (204 Views)

> "utterly biased toward Virgin' Sure i am. that is why i'm not a VM customer and i've told you to leave for another provider.

Then what you wasting your time in a Virgin forum for? This is exactly the place to vent frustrations with service. If you're not party to either side, why both commenting?

> But i stand by what i said you will mean but wont take action by leaving. Lazy. i'll move to anyone that gives me a better or cheaper service. i'm not loyal to any provider.

As I've said, I will take action, but I'm trying to avoid that. Taking action = 1) phone calls, 2) cat and mouse with retention, 3) getting a cancelation date, 4) getting a new supplier in / re-joining under my partner, 5) waiting potentially several weeks for the switch. All of which is a PITA and a total waste of time, not to mention an unnecessary cost for Virgin of sending out an engineer, supplying a new box, taking delivery of my old one, paying out £100+ cashback, £35+ per month they're losing out on the difference between the new fee and the previous, etc.

It'd be FAR smarter for them to lock me into a new contract and just give me the damn box. Totally pointless runaround.
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 30 of 70 (200 Views)

mynameislee wrote:
Shawty, it's not something for free. I've given Virgin over £10k over the life of my relationship with them. I'd just like to get the FULL service I pay for, which with the current (broken) TiVo box, I'm not. IMO, it's up to Virgin to rectify this, not me to spend even more.

You are wanting something for free as are others that want a free V6 box. TiVo wasn't perfect and it was certainly slow but it was not broken. If you want a new box which is faster and can do other things then pay for it or go else where. I'm sick of the moaning that loyal customers get screwed when in reality they are paying the asking price to gain services. 

0 Kudos