Menu
Clickman
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

V6 dilemma

I am considering the upgrade but there is one major problem. My current super hub is in modem only mode and for wi if I use an Apple Extreme and a network of several Apple Expresses(the house is a Victorian villa with a lot of solid stone walls).the TiVo STB is in another room but is connected to the super hub via an Ethernet cable . From some of the answers it would appear the TV V6 and the super hub have to be in close proximity and connected via a VM network. Does this mean I will have to ditch the Apple network and rely on the super hub wi if alone? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 dilemma

Not at all.

As long as you can get a decent wired/wireless connection to your outgoing VM internet link, then you're fine. Many people have their hub in modem mode and are using 3rd party routers.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have an SH2 and I also live in a solid Victorian house. My hub is in a different room from the V6 and I initially connected via an ethernet run across two local switches. However, I have tried the WiFi connection also and it works fine, certainly for EPG downloads and the iPlayer.

One thing I ensured the engineers who installed my V6 also did was to move the hub across the room to the wall nearest the living room where the V6 is located, although the hall is still between them.

I suspect that my internal walls are more solid than the external walls of many modern houses.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not at all.

As long as you can get a decent wired/wireless connection to your outgoing VM internet link, then you're fine. Many people have their hub in modem mode and are using 3rd party routers.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have an SH2 and I also live in a solid Victorian house. My hub is in a different room from the V6 and I initially connected via an ethernet run across two local switches. However, I have tried the WiFi connection also and it works fine, certainly for EPG downloads and the iPlayer.

One thing I ensured the engineers who installed my V6 also did was to move the hub across the room to the wall nearest the living room where the V6 is located, although the hall is still between them.

I suspect that my internal walls are more solid than the external walls of many modern houses.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos