Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

V6 crashed twice

Not enough info to diagnose properly however I'm starting this thread incase anyone else has experienced similar.

On both occasions switch the box off then on (with the switch at the back) fixed it.

I think on both occurred after using iplayer, but I can't really remember the 1st occasion properly as it was a few days ago.

Today had just finished watching planet earth 2 the desert episode and switch off (well put it to sleep).

about 5 minutes later someone wanted to watch something, switched on and the controls were mega slugish and uncontrollable. i.e. if I selected down it would wait a few seconds then move down twice.

I then tried switching it off with the remote, the screen went black, but the light at the front remained white, after which, although it (the light at the front) would flash a bit when i used the remote it was now totally unresponsive and the screen just remained black.

I had to nip out for an hour then, but on returning the box was still in the same state. so I switch it off and on with the switch at the back, and it then booted up apparently normally.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 crashed twice

Hi stevedh2, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about this Smiley Sad

I'd like to keep an eye on this for now. As a reboot has resolved things, let me know if this happens again. 

I'd like to test the box from this side before you reboot to see if anything shows up here. 

Fingers crossed it was a one off though. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Royalbeech
Joining in
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Had my V6 installed last Saturday and I would appear to crash at least once a day. It is usually after watching something that has been recorded or streamed and I start looking through the channels to see what's on.
The crash on every occasion turn the light on the front orange and the "welcome" screen comes on for 30 seconds or so and then goes into full reboot.

Paul.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your V6 box crashing Smiley Sad 

I've gone to check the stats on your V6 box however currently it's showing as being in Standby so I'm not getting any reports back. 

Can you please turn your box on and post back here to let me know. Once on, leave on until I've posted back. This will allow me to test the box to ensure things are as they should be.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Royalbeech
Joining in
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F,

Sorry for the delay, I have everything turn on, so it over to you!

Thanks.

Paul.

0 Kudos
leemacca25
Tuning in
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Ive had similiar experiencing and to be honest am sick to the back teeth of the Virgin, the V6 and the Virgin customer services

Three times i was cut off yesterday from the live chat complaints team (at their end without warning) when they couldnt provide me any sort of useful information. There is a clear firmware issue here yet the only answer we get is "send out an engineer" who pretty much enters the house with a new box ready to replace it for absolutely no reason as the new box will be the same! Wasted time, recordings lost and more time speaking with Virgins customer "service"

Most the engineers we have had have been very polite etc but appear to essentially be installers rather than engineer or technicians

The fact that you can put the box to standby then turn it on later and it completely crashes and therefore loses power to record is completely unacceptable and makes the super record six channels at once feature completely useless as one cant even be recorded! I shouldnt have to be keeping an eye on my shows every hour to make sure my V6 hasnt died! And yes new hardware does have bugs but this is critical and to not be treating it as a priority is utter madness

Im trying to test different settings to find a work around that doesnt include leaving the box on 24/7 and wasting electricity but dont think ill get anywhere, i also cant speak with Virgin anymore as the customer service people just dont have an idea of how the equipment functions. Im not sure if its linked to different HDMI sources being used and modern tvs?

Really angry with myself i spent money on this although when it works it is great and so fast

Ted2
Dialled in
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

My V6 has the O-L-D............Orange Light of Death.

V6 installed yesterday. Engineer took 20 minutes and as soon as it worked he left. Shortly after the V6 shut down done some more updates and after a reboot it started working. Sat down to enjoy the football, Derby v Leicester FA cup on BBC HD and the V6 shut down for good. I have done everything possible, changing HDMI leads, manual reboots and left it on overnight in case it needed updates. I have only managed 20 minutes of watching any telly on the V6 before it went into a permanent loop of orange light (welcome logo's) and white light (start up). No amount of reboots or swapping leads will solve the problem. For the last 10 hours it has now settled to an orange light and that's it. Virgin's Tech team run some tests and said the V6 is faulty and a new one is being sent by courier as an Engineer is not needed.

I have been a customer since it was NTL and  have gone straight from Samsung V+ box to V6. I have no experience of the Tivo. The V6 has an aeriel plug adapter which I don't like, I much prefer the V+ box that the fibre optic cable plugged straight into. My V+ box was manufactured in 2002 and I had no problems with it but I wanted to upgrade to the VIVID 200 broadband and was offered the V6 for free which was a good deal. I think if Virgin had sent these V6 out on approval nearly all would have been sent back.

0 Kudos
dq1967
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

hi folks,

V6 has been in place for about a month now, and generally very impressive. However, the random crashes and reboots are getting tiresome. I leave it on all the time so it's not the issue people have described in the topic when coming out of standby. It's got to the stage that we back up all recordings on the TiVo upstairs, which isn't really acceptable.

Can a mod check the machine and see what can be done?

David Quinn, 

0 Kudos
leemacca25
Tuning in
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Guarantee theyll send an engineer and replace!
Jaunty
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Random reboots on one of boxes (named living room if Virgin wanted to take a look). Has been infrequent but just now  3 times in row. Welcome comes up. For sometime. Then black. Then "Starting Up" for a minute or so. Then "flashes" green. Then "Starting Up" screen again.  Then it starts.

So far has crashed when trying to play back a recording of Modern Family, that may be coincidence. Will try watching something else now....then go back to the recording later it does not crash.

The V6 is set to always on.

0 Kudos