Menu
hermeneut
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 constantly crashing

I should not have been surprised that the V6 I received is a dysfunctional piece of junk. It is *constantly* crashing.

- despite having standby set to OFF, the box shuts down regularly, and doesn't record randomly programmes set during the day
- the box freezes and reboots every other morning

Fed up. When it works, it's better than TiVo. But boxes like this need to be invisible, not constantly draw attention to their inept software.
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 constantly crashing

Have you rung Virgin?.. sounds like you need the V6 replaced as a faulty box.

0 Kudos
hermeneut
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I did indeed ring Virgin – and spent half an hour going through pointless broadband tests that were not related to the V6 issues.

But the problem was solved, and the solution is hilarious.  

Contrary to all the advice regarding the snooze bug, in order to ensure that the V6 does NOT go into standby and DOES record daytime or middle-of-the-night shows, we have to set the box to snooze (suggestions off), NOT always on.

That's right; in order to enable the V6 to not go to sleep when set to always on, the box must be set to snooze.  Custodians of the English language, despair.  UX designers, despair.  Guardians of common sense, despair.

Still, it's fixed.  Even the Netflix bug seems to have been resolved.

Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I cannot do that as I hate it when box snoozes or goes into standby after 4 hours. It's ridiculous to think that just because you do not switch channels after 4 hours that you are not watching the TV. I often have TV on when I am at my PC so don't notice the warning about switching off.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hermeneut wrote:

I did indeed ring Virgin – and spent half an hour going through pointless broadband tests that were not related to the V6 issues.

Contrary to all the advice regarding the snooze bug, in order to ensure that the V6 does NOT go into standby and DOES record daytime or middle-of-the-night shows, we have to set the box to snooze (suggestions off), NOT always on.

That's right; in order to enable the V6 to not go to sleep when set to always on, the box must be set to snooze.  Custodians of the English language, despair.  UX designers, despair.  Guardians of common sense, despair.

I am not sure that I follow this. I have mine set to snooze (suggestions off) and I always set mine to standby when I have finished with it for the night. So, although it is sleeping, red light on, it always manages my planned recordings correctly. In fact I was away for the weekend and it did not miss a recording. When I returned it came out of standby immediately, without an issue, as it always does.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

hermeneut wrote:

I am not sure that I follow this. I have mine set to snooze (suggestions off) and I always set mine to standby when I have finished with it for the night. So, although it is sleeping, red light on, it always manages my planned recordings correctly. In fact I was away for the weekend and it did not miss a recording. When I returned it came out of standby immediately, without an issue, as it always does.

Mines the same I was away for 8 days and it never missed a thing I had it set to record

0 Kudos
hermeneut
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had set mine to always on as apparently there is a bug – clearly not afflicting all V6 boxes – that causes the box to hang/ require a reboot.  It didn't record scheduled programmes.  Hence, I rang VM support, who told me that the way to ensure that the box was essentially always on (i.e., ready to record) was to leave it on snooze (suggestions off).

You are confused, rightly, because this is a confusing instruction.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hermeneut wrote:

I had set mine to always on as apparently there is a bug – clearly not afflicting all V6 boxes – that causes the box to hang/ require a reboot.  It didn't record scheduled programmes.  Hence, I rang VM support, who told me that the way to ensure that the box was essentially always on (i.e., ready to record) was to leave it on snooze (suggestions off).

You are confused, rightly, because this is a confusing instruction.

First, it is a strange bug that affects some boxes but not others when we should all have the same software version, apart from a small number who have received an update in the last few days. I would suspect, as suggested above by another poster, that it might be a different issue, for example a hardware fault. 

It would not surprise me if the person you spoke to was talking nonsense, it would not be the first time.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
hermeneut
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'd agree if this hadn't resolved the issue.

That said, the V6 was dead when i came home from work today and had to be rebooted.

Quality hardware and software from VM — as we have come to expect.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hermeneut wrote:
I'd agree if this hadn't resolved the issue.

That said, the V6 was dead when i came home from work today and had to be rebooted.

Quality hardware and software from VM — as we have come to expect.

In that case you cannot say for certain that it has resolved the issue.

From my perspective the V6 is performing well with respect to the hardware and software. I repeat what was said above that you may have specific issues with your box or some problem with the wider part of your VM environment.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos