Menu
mani1357
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

V6 connection issues

chatting to upgrade team about the v6 and was told you have to keep the v6 3 metres or closer to the superhub. I asked if you could just use a ethernet cable to connect but she said no. But people on some forums saying otherwise. Which is true?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 connection issues

mines connected via ethernet

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Let's be very clear about the connection requirements of V6.

V6 requires two connections.

1. In common with all Virgin Media cable boxes, V6 requires co-ax connection to the cable network.

2. V6 also requires connection to your home network router. This connection can be either Ethernet cable, powerline adapter or wifi. The choice of which, in my opinion, comes down to whether your wifi signal is strong enough at the site of the V6 or your electrical wiring is good enough or you're forced into an Ethernet cable connection.

0 Kudos
mani1357
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

whats a co-ax connection to the cable network. Please simplify
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The co-ax connection is the white cable that your current box uses to connect to the outside cable network.

0 Kudos
Dereklad
Superfast
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well surely the engineer will sort all the appropriate connections..

Cable customer from its inception in 80's in Birmingham .have never missed a bill payment.my package is big kahuna xl tv..200mb internet..and free sky movies for 6 months..+tivo box.
Ps4 & Amazon firestick.
+size 9 feet..iphone 7 plus..
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi mani1357,

Thanks for your post and concerns regarding how to connect up the new V6 box. 

There are 3 methods that the box can be connected to your hub.

The first method, and our preferred method, is via ethernet cable.  It provides the fastest possible connection and will also be the most reliable Smiley Happy

The second method is via wireless. Although this is a great way to connect, a wifi connection is shared by all connected devices in the home so it's not as stable as a direct connection. 

Finally, the 3rd method is via Powerline adaptors. This can be a convenient way to connect but is our least preferred way as it means bringing in an extra piece of kit. 

It's up to you how you want to connect the V6 to the hub however the one thing to remember is the V6 MUST be connected in one way or another to the hub in order for it to work. 

If you have any further questions or queries, pop back and let us know Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Abbafan1972
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

How is it possible then to connect a 2nd V6 box that's in the bedroom upstairs to ethernet, when the superhub is downstairs?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

you can run a ethernet cable or use powerline adapters
0 Kudos
dgnc
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My V6 box is connected to the internet by V6 -> 6m ethernet cable -> Netgear WAP104 router -> 20m ethernet cable -> Asus RT-AC87U router ->  2m ethernet -> SamKnows Broadband monitor box -> 1m ethernet -> Virgin Superhub 2ac in modem mode and I do not seem to have problems. The 20m ethernet cable is an outdoors version as the cable runs down the outside of the house coming in where the Sky cables used to be. Wifi in my location is problematic and is only useable in the room/floor where there is a wireless access point is owing to the large number of competing wireless networks in the immediate local area (>60 SSIDs on 2.4g most times).

I will soon be replacing another TIVO with a V6 box but that will only have a 5m ethernet run and all ethernet cables are cat 5e or cat 6.

David

0 Kudos