Menu
stevekb11
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V6 compatibility issues...........

Hi Everyone, I just had my V6 installed today, and it would seem there's plenty of known compatibility issues when connecting to an existing AV receiver.

I've read some of the current blogs, and all are pointing in the direction of a common problem.

My setup is V6 box-Onkyo TX-NR626-Samsung 4K SUHD TV.

My tv is more than capable of delivering an outstanding picture, and my amp is just as good at delivering the same amazing sounds.

Why are Virgin supplying V6 boxes that aren't compatible with a huge array of digital equipment? and not making people aware at point of installation, except to inform you that you can no longer connect your shiny new box to your valuable AV receiver, but instead have to connect directly to the tv, once the installation is complete.

I feel at least the firmware should allow the end-user the option to select a correct format, not force people into spending £100's to buy new AV receivers. 

The solution to connect to the TV's HDMI port directly, does solve the issue, but i'm sure a lot of people out there have bought their AV's deliberately to be able to connect multiple inputs and drive a single or dual, output(s). Being a far more efficient way to connect, as input selection is simple to switch between devices without a snake-pit of cables. Also, to have a more comprehensive control over Audio and Video selection without extra spaghetti.

Surely, it's not fair to supply these new devices to a large number of customers and simply enforce them to part with more hard-earned cash to buy new kit to enable it to work? It's called backward-compatibility.

The HDMI converters that are available at around 30 quid-ish, may work ok, but isn't that evading the point of the video standard (2.2 instead of 1.4)?, surely by using these devices, I would be applying a limit to my systems capabilities? or am I missing something.

I hope there is a rational and understanding response to this issue, and not " it is what it is, go figure".

cheers guys.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 compatibility issues...........

Hi stevekb11, 

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear your equipment isn't compatible Smiley Sad 

As much as we would love to be able to test every bit of equipment with new services we are providing it's simply not possible. There are always new pieces of equipment coming out with different specifications so it's not always possible for us to be compatible.

As long as the box is working when connected directly to the TV then there's nothing further we can do for now I'm afraid. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Mammoth
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That reply right there from VM is why they should not be aloud to do business with people I was gob smacked at the recent change over I had with what they call a tech engineer, you just have to step back and laugh at the way they do business. Best thing with VM is if you have system that works don't change it, as in the last statement made they don't have a bloody clue. Perhaps. Next will be box that only works with there TVs.
0 Kudos
stevekb11
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nice to see someone else noticed. thanks for the reply. I've been on cable since it came to my home town, can't knock the cable performance and i'm very pleased with the V6 performance, but it should come with a warning sticker......not compatible with most devices, so customers can make a better informed decision whether to upgrade or leave alone.

I've tried various routes to solve my AV receiver issues, namely by purchasing an adaptor to switch from 2.2 format back to 1.4, cost me £50, didn't work. more money down the drain.

If I want my system to work as it should with hdmi switching through my amp, I have to upgrade my amp. Who's gonna give me £600 to do it??

Nuts. I can only play my V6 direct to my tv with optical audio feedback. I can no longer switch between my Bluray/virgin/game units anymore via my amp.

Even santa's sack aint big enough to help me. 

0 Kudos