Menu
erica2014
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V6 box

Having been convinced by the Virgin store that we needed our Tivo boxes upgraded to V6 we went ahead.

They were installed and we eventually have them talking to each other.

However

• We apparently cannot download our favourite rugby teams matches onto DVD, presumably because of copyright issues
  • We then thought that we would record on the second box to save space but we apparently cannot watch this way
  • Other than being able to record more things which is handy when the football and rugby overlap what have we gained by having V6 boxes?

We wrongly made an assumption that the V6 could do at least the same as the Tivo with a few extras and think that this should have been pointed out when we were being given the 'sales presentation'.

Hopefully someone can enlighten me?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box

erica2014 wrote:

Having been convinced by the Virgin store that we needed our Tivo boxes upgraded to V6 we went ahead.

They were installed and we eventually have them talking to each other.

However

• We apparently cannot download our favourite rugby teams matches onto DVD, presumably because of copyright issues

Recording was only permitted officially for timeshifting purposes, but as STB's now record this is obsolete. Also to record requires an analogue connection & downscaling, which since DSO is also now redundant hence equipment manufcturers have removed it.

• We then thought that we would record on the second box to save space but we apparently cannot watch this way

What you record on one box you can usually watch on another by inter-box streaming. This requires both boxes to be connected to your broadband router. V6's work wirlessly, but it is recommended that wired connections are used to watch HD.

• Other than being able to record more things which is handy when the football and rugby overlap what have we gained by having V6 boxes?

We wrongly made an assumption that the V6 could do at least the same as the Tivo with a few extras and think that this should have been pointed out when we were being given the 'sales presentation'.

Hopefully someone can enlighten me?

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What happens when you try to watch something from one V6 from the 2nd V6? You presumably see the 2nd box at the bottom of 'my shows'? You should, if both boxes are connected to the hub, be able to watch all recordings from the other box.

V6 is *much* faster than the Tivo plus it is 4K enabled for when Virgin get 4K programs. I'm not sure what Tivo can do that V6 can't.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin TV V6 box can do everything that the older TiVo can do.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

From what I have read, at this point in time, it is a Tivo that works at a reasonable speed with extra tuners to reduce recording clashes. Eventually there may be 4K content and l would not be surprised to see future updates adding new features. Something the old Tivo is highly unlikely to ever get as it cannot cope properly with the features it has.
0 Kudos