Menu
colinwebb
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 box prices

I upgraded to a V6 box because I always like to keep up with technology. However after doing so I wondered if I'd wasted my money. Installation cost okay but then having to pay extra to rent the box seems a bit much. Apart from being able to record six progammes (probably never necessary) while watching another, I don't see what difference there is to my previous box. Can anyone explain what other benefits I have with this box? I'm not sure if the V6 is able to broadcast Ultra HD and the previous TiVo wasn't but Virgin don't provide any Ultra HD programmes anyway.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box prices

• On demand works
  • Youtube works
  • Netflix Works
  • RF instead of IR remote is a step up
  • Far faster
  • 4K UHD ready
  • Allows downloading of some content to mobile device.
  • True 1080p output (Tivo was 1080i)

Im baffled why you anted up for one without having SOME idea what the benefits are, but each to their own I suppose...On the subject of extra rental, if it REPLACES a TiVo there should be no rental increase. If its in ADDITION to a TiVo, youll pay a second box rental, as you would have if you'd had an additional TiVO. Assuming its in addition, you can now do MRS as well, another benefit.

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:
  • On demand works
  • Youtube works
  • Netflix Works
  • Far faster
  • 4K UHD ready

Im baffled why you anted up for one without having SOME idea what the benefits are, but each to their own I suppose...On the subject of extra rental, if it REPLACES a TiVo there should be no rental increase. If its in ADDITION to a TiVo, youll pay a second box rental, as you would have if you'd had an additional TiVO. Assuming its in addition, you can now do MRS as well, another benefit.

What do you mean by true 1080p output? Broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i so the outcome of broadcast HD is the same on the V6 as it is the TiVo. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

shawty1984 wrote:

Kippies wrote:
  • On demand works
  • Youtube works
  • Netflix Works
  • Far faster
  • 4K UHD ready

What do you mean by true 1080p output? Broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i so the outcome of broadcast HD is the same on the V6 as it is the TiVo. 

Its really not. V6 up-scales (or de-interlaces) very successfully and there is a noticeable improvement in picture quality.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

shawty1984 wrote:

Kippies wrote:
  • On demand works
  • Youtube works
  • Netflix Works
  • Far faster
  • 4K UHD ready

Its really not. V6 up-scales (or de-interlaces) very successfully and there is a noticeable improvement in picture quality.

My point was your TV was doing that with TiVo anyway so the outcome for broadcast HD is the same. Most mid to high end TVs will have a better scaler in than the TiVo and V6 anyway. 

0 Kudos
colinwebb
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It replaced my TiVo downstairs I have an extra TiVo upstairs which I have always paid extra for. I was told it was extra rental for the V6.

My point is do we notice any of these extras and 4K when will Virgin ever have that? I don't subscribe to Netflix and I always watch YouTube on my IPad.

Should I be querying the price?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Query the price? I would say no as you decided to upgrade before doing the research.

I personally cannot see the point of changing to a V6 box at present. If you have a 4K smart TV you are likely to get Netflix anyway. There are no 4K broadcasts available on VM at the moment.

So, save your money and ok, some users report a delay in launching on demand on the current TiVo. But even if you do the delay is not life threatening.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

colinwebb wrote:

It replaced my TiVo downstairs I have an extra TiVo upstairs which I have always paid extra for. I was told it was extra rental for the V6.

My point is do we notice any of these extras and 4K when will Virgin ever have that? I don't subscribe to Netflix and I always watch YouTube on my IPad.

Should I be querying the price?

If you had two TiVo's, and now have one TiVo and one V6, you should not be paying any extra rental. Is everything else the same? Same TV package?

0 Kudos