Menu
bazh2002
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 box price.

So the V6 box will be £50 or £100(rounded up to nearest £) depending on your package. So my question is, does that mean we own the box. I'm sure the answer is no. In that case why is anybody being charged. I payed £50 to upgrade my box to 1tb box with sky, but it's mine to keep, and I still have it. And I noticed there is also an installation charge. So if I get this box it could in principle cost me £100 plus installation charge, and it's still not mine. I am 13 months into my contract with virgin and I'm not impressed with speed or frustrating user friendly setup of TiVo. So if the new box is faster it should be given to everyone as a replacement for the old box free of charge. Sky is looking very inviting, and there are other alternatives. I don't like to be ripped off.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box price.

With Sky you own the box and can pay call out fees when you need an engineer. With Virgin you are renting the box and never pay call out charges for an engineer visit (providing it's not damaged deliberately or something out of their scope).

Sky also have dissatisfied customers, tbh no provider is without their problems..

bazh2002
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I agree, they do all have complaints. But has you say the boxes are rented and if you are an ongoing virgin renter, and a more up to date box becomes available that makes your virgin experience better and more up to date it should be a free replacement to existing customers. New customers no doubt will get it as standard. Same old story, we have you so as long as you carry on paying your forgotten.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You should be aware that Sky have changed to this rented model with SkyQ. You'll pay up front for their box and you don't own it either.

Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh I didn't realise Sky had changed.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

bazh2002 wrote:

I agree, they do all have complaints. But has you say the boxes are rented and if you are an ongoing virgin renter, and a more up to date box becomes available that makes your virgin experience better and more up to date it should be a free replacement to existing customers. New customers no doubt will get it as standard. Same old story, we have you so as long as you carry on paying your forgotten.

Sadly that is the same for everything now, banks etc largely do the same, they are trying to attract new customers and rely on old customers sticking around. However, I guess Virgin have to get at least some of their costs for updating back - from what I have read on other threads, the cost of the boxes is a lot higher than the £50 - 100 they are charging.

I know there are lots of complaints on here about both TV and broadband but my personal experience is a zillion times better with Virgin than it ever was with Sky.. I personally would never go back to Sky. Also what must be taken into account that this is a help forum, *most* of the people that come here are looking for help or to complain.. people that never have issues don't post here.. 

bazh2002
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's the only issue I've had, the slow speed of the user guide, broadband and phone no issues. I'm not a fan of the TiVo user guide. The sky guide is instant and more user friendly But the sky pricing was getting ridiculous.
0 Kudos