Menu
Supered01
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 box keeps resetting.

I have had the new V6 box for about a month now and have been having the same problem several times a week where the the box resets itself usually overnight and then takes an absolute age to restart again in the morning. The box is switched to standby mode at the end of the evening and the red standby light is illuminated at that point. In the morning the red standby light is replaced by the White (box on) light and a message saying "starting up" the box then takes about 3-4 minutes to restart. The problem is also exacerbated by the fact that whilst the box is resseting itself no recordings are taking place. I came back from a weeks holiday and looking forward to watching a few programmes I had on series link only to find NOTHING had been recorded!!
I have just switched to Virgin having spent 20 years or so with Sky and cannot say I ever had any problems with my box in the past. I am finding the whole experience very frustrating and I am already thinking have I made a mistake by switching to Virgin.
If anyone has any ideas on why my box is not working correctly I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Paul.

Helpful Answers
Habanero
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 box keeps resetting.

I am having exactly the same problem with a new V6 installed last week. It's actually coming out of Standby and getting stuck in Starting Up several times a day.

I've tried moving it from the wireless network connection as setup by the installation engineer to a wired Homeplug connection, but it makes no difference.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Smiley Happy 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your V6 box and it keeps rebooting Smiley Sad 

This certainly isn't the way it's meant to work. We do send updates throughout the night however it shouldn't put the box in to a state where it gets stuck on the 'Starting up'.

I'd like to get an engineer out to have a look at this for you. I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Habanero
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am having exactly the same problem with a new V6 installed last week. It's actually coming out of Standby and getting stuck in Starting Up several times a day.

I've tried moving it from the wireless network connection as setup by the installation engineer to a wired Homeplug connection, but it makes no difference.
Supered01
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My box is hard wired to the new Virgin 200mb router and is continually going into reset mode. I have been contacted by the Virgin help team and I am hoping that they will send out an engineer soon to look at the box.
I will keep you updated.
Habanero
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've also decided to do another test, as the box was connected to an HDMI switch, and have now cabled it direct to the TV. It seems odd that even though the V6 is going into reset mode, it seems to get stuck during the startup, and it's only when the TV is turned on that it continues. I think it's this limbo stage that causes the recordings to be missed.
0 Kudos
Supered01
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wow you have the exact same problem as me, I also have a switching unit as my Pioneer tv only has one hdmi input and like you my box is stuck in the "limbo mode" and the box only starts up again when I switch my tv on.
I am still waiting for Virgin to contact me.
0 Kudos
leemacca25
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kath please read the rest of the forum and notice that loads of people are experiencing this - the box is fatally flawed (at least the majority of them are)

An engineer (read installer as all they will do is replace it with another that will do the same) wont fix this. Get the firmware updated asap as its disgusting it hasnt been fixed yet over 4 months later!

I would not waste your time with an "engineer" visit and just change the power saving setting to always on until Virgin pull their finger out and fix the actual problem as whilst it will cost a bit more in electricity the box wont have the chance to try and wake up and you therefore wont lose any recordings as is currently the case which defeats the whole object of this bloody shiny new box....

0 Kudos
Habanero
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Luckily my TV has two HDMI sockets, so I've now cabled the V6 direct to one of them, and other devices to the switch and then the TV. Since I did this the V6 has not reset itself. My HDMI switch is a Syvio which I think came from Maplin.

0 Kudos
Supered01
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input on this matter,

I don't think keeping the power on at all times will help me personally as my box has started to go into standby/reboot mode when I am actually watching a recording!! Luckily I have Amazon Prime and quite often find myself having to watch content on my Fire TV unit when my Virgin box packs up which is quite often now.

Well, I have 10 months left on my Virgin contract and can safely say I cannot wait to go back to Sky as the new V6 box is not fit for purpose.

Come on Virgin sort this out!!!