Menu
oliverseddon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V6 box crashing

I have had my V6 box since Christmas and have been very pleased with it until the past few weeks. We have been having to reboot the box pretty much every day due to it being unresponsive to the remote and no picture appearing on screen. The breaking point was when I realised most of my scheduled recordings hadn't happened because the box was obviously frozen.

Having read a couple of posts on here that mentioned issues with iPlayer and the machine not waking from standby I have made a couple of changes. The only thing we have introduced in the past few weeks that I think may have affected the box is the fact I managed to get Netflix up and running, I had an issue with this initially whereby each time Nextflix was launched an error message appeared. I spoke to technical support and they talked about an issue where if the hub was in modem mode the V6 wasn't able to launch Netflix. This didn't solve the problem, but then not long after my conversation the Netflix service began to work.

Anyway back to the V6, my suspicion was that my issue may have stemmed from th box going into standby mode while an internet service like iPlayer or Netflix was active so I have disabled the energy saver option where the box will automatically go into standby as we tend not to leave it on anyway. We have also started to ensure both iPlayer and Netflix aren't active when we put it into standby, just choosing a regular channel before turning it off.

We are only three days into this experiment, but so far so good we haven't needed to reboot the box and all planned recordings have all gone ahead.

I'm guessing this is probably a software issue so would really appreciate some feedback as to whether anyone else is having similar issues and if it was a known fault?

pajampot
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box crashing

I'm having a similar problem, when exiting iPlayer the v6 reboots
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi oliverseddon,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks so much for your post about the issues you've had with your V6 box and the different process you have been trying. How's this going? 

Please let us know. 

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
oliverseddon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri_P,

Since disabling the auto standby feature and ensuring the box isn't put into standby whilst on Netflix of iPlayer we haven't had any further issues of the box freezing. So in terms of it working my solution seems to have worked, but in terms of a good user experience the fact we are having to do this to make sure the box works as it should is not great. I'm hoping this is something a software update may fix in the near future.

For clarity and testing purposes my setup is: V6 box connected via ethernet connected to my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and a Hub 3.0 in Modem mode.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi oliverseddon,

Thanks for getting straight back to me. I appreciate that this has been a poor customer experience for you having to find your own work-around with the new box. It is interesting that this seems to have bypassed the issue causing the box to freeze up when using the apps. This is really useful information you have provided to the Community.

I will send your feedback to our development team so that we can look further into this problem.

Many thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help