Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26 (1,875 Views)

V6 box, Harmony Elite and Amazon Alexa

Evenin' all.

Thinking of upgrading to the V6 box from standard Tivo, but wanted to ask if anyone has it working with the Logitech Harmony Hub at all?

Also, does anyone then have that little lot connected to Alexa for voice control? Looking for a bit off feedback on whether it all connects up and works happily, also to what degree the voice control works; just for on / off or individual channels etc. I don't yet have the Harmony Hub, but I do have the Alexa.

Come on folks, inspire me - I'm old, not technical and need to drag myself into this smart home age!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 26 (1,869 Views)

Re: V6 box, Harmony Elite and Amazon Alexa

Well TiVo is supposed to work with the Harmony Hub, but no mention of whether a Liberty Global EOS box will or not.

If they work, then Echo compatibility is trivial.

TV: XL+SkySports TiVo: 1x 1TB
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 26 (1,803 Views)

The spec sheet for the V6 Virgin TV V6 Box says it has both IR and RF4CE remote control, so it should work with the Harmony Hub, which uses IR commands.

The V6 is not currently listed in Logitech's Harmony support database, but unlisted devices can be added Adding a device that's not found in the Harmony database . If the V6 responds to the same IR commands as the TiVO there will be no problem.

I do not yet have a V6, but expect it to work with my Harmony Hub when my V6 is installed next week.

I think Amazon and Virgin will need jointly to produce a Skill if Alexa is to control the V6.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 26 (1,797 Views)

The IR remote control codes for the V6 and TiVo are the same.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 26 (1,762 Views)

My V6 is working perfectly well with my Harmony Hub. The IR codes appear to be the same and I didn't have to change my Elite set up at all.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 26 (1,751 Views)

My Elite works fine with the V6.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 26 (1,738 Views)

Thanks so much for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I've ordered my Harmony Hub and eagerly await it's arrival! It's great to know that I can set it up with TiVO and it should then carry over to the V6 when we upgrade. Excited!

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 26 (1,734 Views)

I don't have a V6 (yet!) but do have the Harmony hub and Amazon Echo. At the moment I use IFTTT to link the two, which works for starting/stopping activities only. So for example you can say "Alexa trigger watch Tivo" - no individual commands so far, although there is another way to do it using an app called Yonomi. I haven't bothered trying it but I believe it offers more control than IFTTT.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 9 of 26 (1,720 Views)

[ Edited ]

r1skbreak3r wrote:

I don't have a V6 (yet!) but do have the Harmony hub and Amazon Echo. At the moment I use IFTTT to link the two, which works for starting/stopping activities only. So for example you can say "Alexa trigger watch Tivo" - no individual commands so far, although there is another way to do it using an app called Yonomi. I haven't bothered trying it but I believe it offers more control than IFTTT.

I have a harmony hub, and Alexa, you can now link your Harmony account with Alexa . . just do a search on the entire skills store for Harmony and it should pop up you then enable it and go through the linking of accounts etc

. . . the only trouble I have is that it doesn't seem to work, and Alexa says something like "something seems to have gone wrong" . . but hey ho (it did seem to work when I first set it up and tried it) . . . you have to say "Hey Alexa, tell Harmony to watch BBC1" . . shame its so convoluted.

. . . seems less hassle to just grab the remote tbh Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 26 (1,457 Views)

I've got the harmony hub ultimate remote combo and Alexa with the v6. I've tried iffft and the standard Alexa Harmony Skill as well as Yonomi.

The one I end up using most is Yonomi because you can just say "Alexa turn on the TV", Etc rather than "Alexa, ask harmony to play PS4". It's a novelty at the moment as you still do have to use your remote for everything else other than turn on and off. You can Alexa to ask harmony to turn the volume up and down but it's too much effort and slightly hit and miss to be useful at present. The reason is because in the US there are two Harmony skills for Alexa, which both do subtely different things. One of them doesn't need you to "ask Alexa to ask Harmony" which would perhaps be more useful.

My hub does control the V6 but lacks certain functionality such as being able to fast forward/rewind at different speeds, but no doubt Logitech could fix that quite easily if I log a support call.
0 Kudos