Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 81 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

tboman wrote:

Hi Dannylau,

So you are saying that Panasonic, a very well established TV manufacturer do not meet the standards in their high end TVs and Yamaha, who are highly respected in the AV amp arena do not meet the standards in their high end equipment. Interesting statement that!

The Amazon Fire TV 4K and the Panasonic DMP-U900 UHD Blu-ray player have no problems with my TV or Amp. The old Tivo box had no problem with my TV and Amp. The Virgin V6 is the only device I have any problem with, so why does the problem lie elsewhere and not with the V6 box?

Regards,

Tony

As I said in my post TV manufacturers are slack and many pieces of 3rd party equipment ignore it, If the standard says it must respond in "X" ms and it takes "Y" ms and Virgins kit rejects it because of this who's fault is it? 

Remember the broadcaster say you must adhere to the standards, it's also worth checking out the Sky Q forum as people have similar issues

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 82 of 210
Flag for a moderator

tjc_2005 wrote:

So true, I find that highly unlikely, seeing as the standards would of course be implemented correctly, they are TV manufacturers after all, they're hardly going to ignore new standards, or implement them badly, it is literally the most important device... it's for watching TV!

LOL

0 Kudos
tboman
Dialled in
Message 83 of 210
Flag for a moderator

So Dannylau, you are saying that Virgin does not care if the V6 box talks properly to any other broadcast equipment or not, as long as Virgin adhere to the standards?? How did Virgin manage to QA the V6 if no one else meets Virgin's exacting standards! :-)

By the way, I tested Sky Q and it does not have these problems with my equipment. Not saying it is without fault, but did not show these problems.

Regards,

Tony

cybmole
Community elder
Message 84 of 210
Flag for a moderator

again, coming to VM's defense  ( must get that new medication checked out )...

4K with its mandatory HDCP2.2 is pretty new. so of all the folks who buy 4K TVs only some will get a 4K Sky Q or VM v6 to connect to it. throw into the mix the fact that  folks who can afford that may also have a high end surround sound system ( which may or may not have HDCP2.2 support) and it gets messy. may even be the case  that "bargain" 4k TV sets have bad or missing HDCP implementations on their HDMi ports

they're not going go buy 4K blu ray players in droves , as the content just is not there , on disc, so their first encounter with unforgiving standards will be the Virgin or SKy box

cybmole
Community elder
Message 85 of 210
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:
I tend to agree with the last couple of comments that the issue lies with virgin media and we saw earlier that it has been agreed that the problem lies with them

I have a brand new state of the art tv and sound system and am positive it's not Panasonic or Sony's fault

that is probably the case. I'll quit working pro bono for the defence on this one

If were more interested I'd go assess how many similar bug reports there are over at SKy, re their new boxes, but I have no plans to buy a 4k TV in the next 12 months

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 86 of 210
Flag for a moderator

short duration sound dropouts are more likely to be due to badly coded audio visual sync.  audio is dropped in order to resync the video, 

the non 4k Tivo is notorious for that ( e.g. whenever you use netflix on 5:1 audio) and the V6 uses much of the same code ?

meanwhile, from wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection#Problems

"the main practical effect of HDCP has been to create one more way in which your electronics could fail to work properly with your TV," and concluded in the aftermath of the master key fiasco that HDCP has been "less a security system than a tool for shaping the consumer electronics market."[34]

HDCP can cause problems for users who want to connect multiple screens to a device; for example, a bar with several televisions connected to one satellite receiver or when a user has a closed laptop and uses an external display as the only monitor. HDCP devices can create multiple keys, allowing each screen to operate, but the number varies from device to device; e.g., a Dish or Sky satellite receiver can generate 16 keys.[30] The technology sometimes causes handshaking problems where devices cannot establish a connection, especially with older high-definition displays.[31][32][33]

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 87 of 210
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

tjc_2005 wrote:

So true, I find that highly unlikely, seeing as the standards would of course be implemented correctly, they are TV manufacturers after all, they're hardly going to ignore new standards, or implement them badly, it is literally the most important device... it's for watching TV!

LOL

some issues will arise because some TV makers skimp

they give you several HDMI but maybe only was has ARQ, only one ( may not be the same one !  is HDCP 2.2 compliant... )
so the naive user randomly chooses the wrong port and gets blank screen. this is more likely to be in the Tesco Value / black Friday / Argos market sector - look!!! 4k for only £299 - somehing has to give... [ am sure that most of  the posters here have better taste / fatter wallets Smiley Happy   ]

0 Kudos
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 88 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Yeah true for some I know that may be the case for the naïve user sure, and I agree. But mine is definitely set up correctly.

TV LG C6 (OLED55C6V), from a review:

"three HDMI 2.0a inputs with support for Ultra HD 4K 50/60p, HDR and HDCP2.2. We confirmed that all the HDMI inputs were capable of accepting Ultra HD 4K 50/60p, HDR and HDCP2.2 using our Murideo Fresco Six-G test pattern generator. The second HDMI input supports ARC (Audio Return Channel)"

Now my AV Receiver, from the manufacturers website:

"HDMI 2.0a Connectivity; HDCP 2.2 compatible; ISF-CertifiedWith no fewer than eight HDMI inputs (including one conveniently located on the front panel), along with dual HDMI outputs, the AVR-X2300W's advanced video section features the latest HDMI specifications, including 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Colour sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support on every input. The AVR-X2300W also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content, ensuring ready for the next generation of Blu-ray disc players, set-top boxes and other 4K Ultra HD sources."

So as you can see, it actually has 8 inputs (one on the front), all HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and 2 outputs on the back, one of which is ARC (Audio Return Channel) that plugs into the TV, they are also HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2

So again, I don't know why the V6 isn't playing ball, everything is set up correctly, plug and play. All other devices work perfectly going through the TV input or the receiver. I actually have my V6 plugged straight into the TV so the video doesn't interact with the receiver, but the sound does, so sometimes I get a black screen with sound. If I have it plugged into the receiver though, it's the same story.

tboman
Dialled in
Message 89 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Hi cybmole, I agree that some people and some equipment will fall into the category you describe, but not everybody. I assure you I know which ports are ARC compatible, which ports support HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 etc. I spend a lot of money on my equipment, probably too much :-), so I do a lot of research. Technical reviews on AVForums, and others, have confirmed that my equipment meets or exceeds, the required standards. If I was facing these issues I see with the V6 box on any other 4K sources I have, then I would be the first to acknowledge that. The black screen bug is a nuisance, but does not annoy me as much as the frequent sound dropout problem and that is unique to the V6 in my setup.

I am an early adopter of new technology and I do except that there will be teething problems, but what annoys me most is that VM do not want to accept this is a problem and point the finger everywhere else except at their product. Also, 4K, HDCP, HDMI, ARC etc. etc. are not that new anymore. I am on my second AV Amp supporting 4K, HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and I do not change those things every week!

Anyway, I am not sure we are moving the discussion forward between us. Many people have reported the problem here with a variety of equipment. I believe a problem exists that VM should respond to, but they appear very quiet on the subject.

I have been a loyal customer of VM since the days of CableTel. I have used VM broadband since before VM owned it. I have switched TV provider a few times over the years though. I will give VM more time to resolve these problems, but I expect to see some movement on their part in both fixing these teething problems and securing more 4K broadcast material or I might have to jump the TV provider ship again.

Regards,

Tony

anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 90 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Tony is spot on

Virgin have accepted responsibility on this known issue. Now please just deal with it

We pay huge amounts and we deserve better,rather than keeping quiet and not accepting responsibility
0 Kudos